Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The driver is temporarily unavailable

User16869510359
Esteemed Contributor

My job fails with Driver is temporarily unavailable. Apparently, it's permanently unavailable, because the job is not pausing but failing.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

User16869510359
Esteemed Contributor

The error messages mean the Spark driver is having insufficient resources. Although increasing the driver memory or using a bigger instance type is a quick workaround, identifying the issue is the key thing.

On the application side , review if there are operations which is driver intensive. Say, collect() or toPandas() etc.

Also check if the instance type used is adequate for the workload.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

User16869510359
Esteemed Contributor

The error messages mean the Spark driver is having insufficient resources. Although increasing the driver memory or using a bigger instance type is a quick workaround, identifying the issue is the key thing.

On the application side , review if there are operations which is driver intensive. Say, collect() or toPandas() etc.

Also check if the instance type used is adequate for the workload.

Chalki
New Contributor III

I am facing the same issues .  I am writing in batches using a simple for loop. I don't have any collect statements inside the loop. I am rewriting the partitions with partition overwrite dynamic mode in a huge wide delta table - several tb. The incremental load is sometimes 1-2 tb

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.