Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best file format for a temporary table?

User16869510359
Esteemed Contributor

As part of my ETL process, I create intermediate/staging temporary tables. These tables created are read at a later point in the ETL and finally cleaned up. Should I use Delta? Using Delta creates the overhead of running optimize jobs, which would delay my ETL. Enabling optimize writes also will add delay to my ETL

What is the best practice/recommendation here.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

User16869510359
Esteemed Contributor
  • The temporary table can be created using Delta, although enabling optimize writes on the temporary table can increase the read performance in the subsequent stage. Overall it's a good practice to use Delta.
  • Eventual consistency-related issues are common when dealing with temporary tables. Using Delta can help to address those issues.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

User16869510359
Esteemed Contributor
  • The temporary table can be created using Delta, although enabling optimize writes on the temporary table can increase the read performance in the subsequent stage. Overall it's a good practice to use Delta.
  • Eventual consistency-related issues are common when dealing with temporary tables. Using Delta can help to address those issues.

Sebastian
Contributor

Agree.. the intermediate delta tables helps since it brings reliability to the pipeline.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.