Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Whats the difference between Spark Pipeline and Delta Live Table Pipelines? in which scenarios we should leverage DLT pipeline over Spark pipeline

Srikanth_Gupta_
Valued Contributor

2 REPLIES 2

rgite
New Contributor II

I also have the same query, someone can shed some light on this?

BilalAslamDbrx
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

I'll try to answer this in the simplest possible way ๐Ÿ™‚

1. Spark is an imperative programming framework. You tell it what it to do, it does it. DLT is declarative - you describe what you want the datasets to be (i.e. the transforms), and it takes care of the rest including orchestrating updates, inserts and merges in the right order. It's actually quite similar to dbt, if you are familiar with that tool.

2. DLT runs on fully managed infrastructure vs. with Spark you have to configure and manage the compute yourself. DLT is typically much cheaper on a price/performance basis as a result.

So, in summary, DLT is a fully managed, declarative ETL framework where Databricks takes care of all the infrastructure. I generally recommend starting with it for ETL projects.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.