Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are some of my AWS EBS volumes in my workspace unencrypted?

User16826992783
New Contributor II

I noticed that 30GB of my EBS volumes are unencrypted, is there a reason for this, and is there a way to encrypt these volumes?

1 REPLY 1

Abishek
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

https://docs.databricks.com/security/keys/customer-managed-keys-storage-aws.html#introduction

The Databricks cluster’s EBS volumes (optional) - For Databricks Runtime cluster nodes and other compute resources in the Classic data plane, you can optionally use the key to encrypt the VM’s remote EBS volumes.

Note :

Serverless SQL warehouses do not use customer-managed keys for EBS storage encryption, which is an optional part of the customer-managed keys for workspace storage feature. Disks for serverless compute resources are short-lived and tied to the lifecycle of the serverless workload. For example, when serverless SQL warehouses are stopped or scaled down, the VMs and their storage are destroyed. See Serverless compute and customer-managed keys.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.