Did you mean:ย 

How often should I run vaccuum command?

Anonymous
Not applicable

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

User16783855117
Contributor II
It really depends on your business intentions! You can remove files no longer referenced by a Delta table and are older than the retention threshold by running the vacuum command on the table. vacuum is not triggered automatically. The default retention threshold for the files is 7 days.
The main reason I recommend VACUUM-ing is for compliance and to reduce storage costs. If you need to remove older copies of the date for compliance, I would VACUUM as quickly as processing is complete to ensure the records are removed. To manage storage costs, you will need to balance the cost of keeping older copies of data with the storage cost for them, and that is dependent on each use case.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

User16783855117
Contributor II
It really depends on your business intentions! You can remove files no longer referenced by a Delta table and are older than the retention threshold by running the vacuum command on the table. vacuum is not triggered automatically. The default retention threshold for the files is 7 days.
The main reason I recommend VACUUM-ing is for compliance and to reduce storage costs. If you need to remove older copies of the date for compliance, I would VACUUM as quickly as processing is complete to ensure the records are removed. To manage storage costs, you will need to balance the cost of keeping older copies of data with the storage cost for them, and that is dependent on each use case.
Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.