cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Connect Delta Lake to OData API?

Joseph_B
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

I'd like to expose Delta Lake data to external customers via OData v4 APIs. What's the best way to do that?

4 REPLIES 4

Joseph_B
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

The Open Data Protocol (OData) is a data access protocol built on core protocols like HTTP and commonly accepted methodologies like REST for the web. Think of OData as a HTTP/REST version of JDBC/ODBC. Pretty thorough/complex.

This can be implemented by creating an intermediate service which handles requests and can query the Delta Lake. That service will need to have a REST API for servicing OData. For reading Delta, the service could use 2 options:

• Either use the native Delta reader via a Databricks SQL Endpoint, in which case the request pipeline would look like: client -> HTTP -> JDBC/ODBC -> Spark/Databricks,
  • Or use the Rust/Python/Ruby/Golang APIs from delta-rs: https://github.com/delta-io/delta-rs

Golden_Snitch_4
New Contributor II

@Joseph Bradleyโ€‹ ,

Is the best answer to this still to implement the the OData intermediate service yourself? Or is there a better way now?

john1
New Contributor II

Is the best answer to this still to implement the the OData intermediate service yourself? Or is there a better way now?

Joseph_B
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

I believe it's still the best option. That said, it would be good to know what the OData API is needed for. When I added the original answer, Databricks SQL was nowhere near where it is today, and it's now easy to connect DB SQL directly to PowerBI or other tools which might otherwise "need" OData APIs. For PowerBI, see https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/databricks/partners/bi/power-bi

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.