cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Python open function is unable to detect the file in dbfs

billaspiel
New Contributor II

hi ,

Im a newbie learning spark using databricks , I did some investigation and searched if this questions was been asked earlier in community forum but unable to find anything so .

1. DBFS is unable to detect the file even though its present in it .

The issue happens only with below command

with open("dbfs:/FileStore/tables/data.txt") as f:

and not with

lines0 = sc.textFile("/FileStore/tables/data.txt"

Does this mean in databricks notebook we can't use python open function to open a file ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mathan_pillai
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi @billaspiel

Can you please try by removing the colon ":" ? Here is a documentation on how to read/write the data

https://docs.databricks.com/user-guide/dbfs-databricks-file-system.html#access-dbfs-using-local-file...

If the issue still occurs, please share the complete statement and also the error message you are getting. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

mathan_pillai
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi @billaspiel

Can you please try by removing the colon ":" ? Here is a documentation on how to read/write the data

https://docs.databricks.com/user-guide/dbfs-databricks-file-system.html#access-dbfs-using-local-file...

If the issue still occurs, please share the complete statement and also the error message you are getting. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks

Hi mathan,

Thanks for the information , in addition to removing colon':' added '/' as well before dbfs which resolved the issue .

working syntax

----------------------

with open("/dbfs/FileStore/tables/data.txt") as f:

Dflo
New Contributor II

I am having similar issues currently. I can read or access my storage account but when I attempted to read or access the container it told me path not found. I create the container and have full access as an owner.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.