Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I create a Table from a CSV file with first column with data in dictionary format (JSON like)?

tripplehay777
New Contributor

I have a csv file with the first column containing data in dictionary form (keys: value). [see below]

0693f000007OoIpAAK

I tried to create a table by uploading the csv file directly to databricks but the file can't be read. Is there a way for me to flatten or convert the first column to excel table with each key as column name and values in rows?

1 REPLY 1

MaxStruever
New Contributor II

This is apparently a known issue, databricks has their own csv format handler which can handle this

https://github.com/databricks/spark-csv

SQL API

CSV data source for Spark can infer data types:

CREATE TABLE cars
USING com.databricks.spark.csv
OPTIONS (path "cars.csv", header "true", inferSchema "true")

You can also specify column names and types in DDL.

CREATE TABLE cars (yearMade double, carMake string, carModel string, comments string, blank string)
USING com.databricks.spark.csv
OPTIONS (path "cars.csv", header "true")
Scala API

Spark 1.4+:

Automatically infer schema (data types), otherwise everything is assumed string:

import org.apache.spark.sql.SQLContext

val sqlContext = new SQLContext(sc) val df = sqlContext.read .format("com.databricks.spark.csv") .option("header", "true") // Use first line of all files as header .option("inferSchema", "true") // Automatically infer data types .load("cars.csv")

val selectedData = df.select("year", "model") selectedData.write .format("com.databricks.spark.csv") .option("header", "true")

.save("newcars.csv")

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.