Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to infer csv schema default all columns like string using spark- csv?

Jasam
New Contributor

I am using spark- csv utility, but I need when it infer schema all columns be transform in string columns by default.

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3

User16789201666
Contributor II

You can manually specify schema, e.g. from (https://github.com/databricks/spark-csv):

import org.apache.spark.sql.SQLContext import org.apache.spark.sql.types.{StructType, StructField, StringType, IntegerType};

val sqlContext = new SQLContext(sc) val customSchema = StructType(Array( StructField("year", IntegerType, true), StructField("make", StringType, true), StructField("model", StringType, true), StructField("comment", StringType, true), StructField("blank", StringType, true)))

val df = sqlContext.read .format("com.databricks.spark.csv") .option("header", "true") // Use first line of all files as header .schema(customSchema) .load("cars.csv")

val selectedData = df.select("year", "model") selectedData.write .format("com.databricks.spark.csv") .option("header", "true") .save("newcars.csv")

vadeka
New Contributor II

I was solving the same issue, that I wanted all the columns as text and deal with correct cast later which I have solved by recasting all the column to string after I've inferred the schema. I'm not sure if it's efficient, but it works.

#pyspark path = '...' df = spark.read \ .option("inferschema", "true") \ .csv(df)

for column in df.columns: df= df.withColumn(column,df[column].cast('string'))

then you have to read again with changed schema

f = spark.read.option("schema", df.schema).csv(df)

This however doesn't deal with nested columns, though csv doesn't create any nested structs, I hope.

jhoop2002
New Contributor II

@peyman what if I don't want to manually specify the schema?

For example, I have a vendor that can't build a valid .csv file. I just need to import it somewhere so I can explore the data and find the errors.

Just like the original author's question? How do I tell Spark to read all columns as string?

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.