Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to see the textbox input from getArgument() or dbutils.widgets.text() or dbutils.widgets.dropdown()

jpalbeza
New Contributor II

getArgument() has been deprecated. I don't see the text box for me to type in any input anymore.

What I actually see though is the following error:

Deprecation warning: Use dbutils.widgets.text() or dbutils.widgets.dropdown() to create a widget and dbutils.widgets.get() to get its bound value.

I'm lost as to how to use these new text() or dropdown() utilities for now. If anyone can teach me or point me to that documentation. That would be great.

Details: Python notebook Cluster is running Spark 1.6.0

Code 1:

x = getArgument("a", "b")

This does not show me the input textbox. It does say that x got 'b'

Code 2:

t1 = dbutils.widgets.text("a", "b")
print dbutils.widgets.get("a")

This prints 'b' but I still don't see the text widget.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bill_Chambers
Contributor II

hey @jpalbeza! So this feature is in beta right now so it doesn't display. However in the coming release we're going to turn it on for everyone. At that point the widgets will show up as expected. Additionally, the documentation will show up in that release as well!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Bill_Chambers
Contributor II

hey @jpalbeza! So this feature is in beta right now so it doesn't display. However in the coming release we're going to turn it on for everyone. At that point the widgets will show up as expected. Additionally, the documentation will show up in that release as well!

Looking forward to it!

RyanJohnson
New Contributor II

So shouldn't it be removed from the tutorial notebook showing how to connect to S3? I'm trying to connect to S3 for the first time and a deprecation warning isn't a pleasant first experience with a tool I am paying for.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.