Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Efficiently Read Nested JSON in PySpark?

DarshilDesai
New Contributor II

I am having trouble efficiently reading & parsing in a large number of stream files in Pyspark!

Context

Here is the schema of the stream file that I am reading in JSON. Blank spaces are edits for confidentiality purposes.

root
 |-- location_info: array (nullable = true)
 |    |-- element: struct (containsNull = true)
 |    |    |-- restaurant_type: string (nullable = true)
 |    |    |
 |    |    |
 |    |    |-- other_data: array (nullable = true)
 |    |    |    |-- element: struct (containsNull = true)
 |    |    |    |    |-- other_data_1 string (nullable = true)
 |    |    |    |    |-- other_data_2: string (nullable = true)
 |    |    |    |    |-- other_data_3: string (nullable = true)
 |    |    |    |    |-- other_data_4: string (nullable = true)
 |    |    |    |    |-- other_data_5: string (nullable = true)
 |    |    |
 |    |    |-- latitude: string (nullable = true)
 |    |    |-- longitude: string (nullable = true)
 |    |    |-- timezone: string (nullable = true)
 |-- restaurant_id: string (nullable = true)
Current Method of Reading & Parsing (which works but takes TOO long)
  • Although the following method works and is itself a solution to even getting started reading in the files, this method takes very long when the number of files increases in the thousands
  • Each file size is around 10MB
  • The files are essential "stream" files and have names like this
    s3://bucket_name/raw/2020/03/05/04/file-stream-6-2020-03-05-04-01-04-123-b978-2e2b-5672-fa243fs4aeb4
    . Therefore I read it in as a JSON in Pyspark (not sure what else I would read it in as anyway?)
    • If you notice I call for replacing the restaurant_id with '\n{"restaurant_id', this is because if I don't then the read operation only reads in the first record in the file, and ignores the other contents...

```

# Reading multiple files in the dir source_df_1 = spark.read.json(sc.wholeTextFiles("file_path/*").values().flatMap(lambda x: x .replace('{"restaurant_id','\n{"restaurant_id').split('\n')))# explode here to have restaurant_id, and nested data exploded_source_df_1 = source_df_1.select(col('restaurant_id'), explode(col('location_info')).alias('location_info'))# Via SQL operation : this will solve the problem for parsing exploded_source_df_1.createOrReplaceTempView('result_1')

subset_data_1 = spark.sql(''' SELECT restaurant_id, location_infos.latitude,location_infos.longitude,location_infos.timezone from result_1 ''')

```

Things I would love help with:
  • (1) Is there a faster way I can read this in?
  • (2) If I try and cache / persist the data frame, when would I be able to do it since it seems like the
    .values().flatMap(lambda x: x.replace('{"restaurant_id','\n{"restaurant_id' )
    is an action in itself so if I call persist() at the end it seems to redo the entire read?

You can refer to this thread as to how I arrived at this solution in the first place: link. Thank you very much for your time

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Chris_Shehu
Valued Contributor III

I'm interested in seeing what others have come up with. Currently I'm using Json. normalize() then taking any additional nested statements and using a loop to pull them out -> re-combine them.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @ DarshilDesai! My name is Kaniz, and I'm the technical moderator here. Great to meet you, and thanks for your question! Let's see if your peers on the Forum have an answer to your questions first. Or else I will follow up shortly with a response.

Chris_Shehu
Valued Contributor III

I'm interested in seeing what others have come up with. Currently I'm using Json. normalize() then taking any additional nested statements and using a loop to pull them out -> re-combine them.

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Darshil Desai​ , How are you? Were you able to resolve your problem?

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.