Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the difference between Interactive Clusters and Job Cluster?

Van-DuyetLe
New Contributor

I am new to databricks. I would like to know what is the difference between Interactive Clusters and Job Cluster? There are no official document now.

5 REPLIES 5

Ritesh1
New Contributor II

As per the documentation

Interactive clusters are used to analyze data collaboratively with interactive notebooks. Job clusters are used to run fast and robust automated workflows using the UI or API.

So, while in development phase, you will mostly use interactive cluster. On the other hand once you move to production where things are more in a automated way, job clusters comes in picture.

rene_nadorp
New Contributor II

I think you meant "job clusters come in picture" at the end of your comment. 😉

Ritesh1
New Contributor II

Thanks for the correction 🙂

StacyKerkela
New Contributor II

The documentation is a bit clearer now - https://docs.databricks.com/clusters/index.html

Databricks makes a distinction between interactive clusters and automated clusters. You use interactive clusters to analyze data collaboratively using interactive notebooks. You use automated clusters to run fast and robust automated jobs.
  • You can create an interactive cluster using the UI, CLI, or REST API. You can manually terminate and restart an interactive cluster. Multiple users can share such clusters to do collaborative interactive analysis.
  • The Databricks job scheduler creates an automated cluster when you run a job on a new automated cluster and terminates the cluster when the job is complete. You cannot restart a job cluster.

Forum_Admin
Contributor

Sports news Football news International football news

Football news Thai football news, Thai football

Follow news, know sports news at Siamsportnews

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.