Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom line separator

ArvindShyamsund
New Contributor II

I see that https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/18581 will enable defining custom Line Separators for many sources, including CSV. Apart from waiting on this PR to make it into the main Databricks runtime, is there any other alternative to support different line separator? Such as directly setting HadoopFileLinesReader configuration?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Brian's answer above is probably the simplest. Here are some other options in case line.seperator doesn't do the trick:

Option: Custom CSV Reader

Modify the CSV reader and upload it as a library. Here are the steps:

Option: Fix the original file...

Create a program that reads the file in as a byte stream, repairs the bytes, and writes out a new, repaired file. It's easiest if you do it without parallelizing, but you could parallelize if you wanted by breaking the file into 1 gb chunks and seeking ahead to the relevant section to process those in parallel.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

User16857281974
Contributor

Currently, the only known option is to fix the line separator before beginning your standard processing.

In that vein, one option I can think of is to use SparkContext.wholeTextFiles(..) to read in an RDD, split the data by the customs line separator and then from there are a couple of additional choices:

• Write the file back out with the new line separators.
  • Convert the RDD to a DataFrame with a call like rdd.toDF() and resume processing.

The major disadvantage to this is the size of each file. The call to wholeTextFiles(..) will load each file as a single partition which means we could very easily consume all the available RAM.

The second option I can think of would be to perform the same operation above, but from the driver with standard file IO (if possible). The Scala/Python libraries for file manipulation are pretty straight forward allowing you to read one chunk of data, clean it up and write it back out to a new file. Again this is a very ugly solution and is not as practical if you are working from most data stores like S3, HDFS, etc.

I'll try to run this question by other instructors and/or engineers to see if there is some unknown/undocumented solution.

User16844369513
New Contributor II

From the referenced PR, I assume that we’re talking about processing files that use something other than \n to delimit lines—e.g., \r, or \r\n. Since CSV files are assumed to be text files, and since Java uses a platform-specific notion of a line separator (System.getProperty("line.separator")), it might be possible to change that system property. However, I’m not 100% positive that’ll work, without either (a) digging into the source for the CSV reader, or (b) experimenting with changing that property (which needs to be propagated to the Executors).

I'd definitely stay away from wholeTextFiles(), for the reasons Jacob Parr (@SireInsectus) mentions.

So I chased down all the calls in the latest version of the source code (with @Brian Clapper's help) and it boils down to how org.apache.hadoop.util.LineReader is implemented - in short, it's hardcoded to use CR & LF if a specific record delimiter is not specified.

QQ: how do I call System.getProperty from a Python notebook in Databricks? Can't seem to figure out the correct import 😞

Yeah, you can't really do that easily. That's a JVM thing. The actual code that reads the CSV runs on the JVM (and is written in Scala).

If you're working in Python, your best bet really is to write your own adapter (or wait until the PR shows up in Spark). And you'll have to write that adapter in Scala or Java.

Anonymous
Not applicable

spark._jvm.java.lang.System.getProperty("line.separator")
spark._jvm.java.lang.System.setProperty("line.separator", "\n")

That's cool. I didn't know we could do that from Python.... However, remember that org.apache.hadoop.util.LineReader is hardcoded to use CR & LFs - I just verified that this morning. It does not check any system properties like all "good" libraries would.

You can do that, but you're stepping inside "implementation detail" land. This is definitely doable, but you're using a non-public API, so caveat programmer.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Brian's answer above is probably the simplest. Here are some other options in case line.seperator doesn't do the trick:

Option: Custom CSV Reader

Modify the CSV reader and upload it as a library. Here are the steps:

Option: Fix the original file...

Create a program that reads the file in as a byte stream, repairs the bytes, and writes out a new, repaired file. It's easiest if you do it without parallelizing, but you could parallelize if you wanted by breaking the file into 1 gb chunks and seeking ahead to the relevant section to process those in parallel.

Thank you Doug, and everyone else who took the time to reply. I really appreciate this help!

DanielTomes
New Contributor II

You can use newAPIHadoopFile

SCALA

import org.apache.hadoop.io.LongWritable
import org.apache.hadoop.io.Text
import org.apache.hadoop.conf.Configuration
import org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.lib.input.TextInputFormat
val conf = new Configuration
conf.set("textinputformat.record.delimiter", "#")
val log_df = sc.newAPIHadoopFile("path/to/file", classOf[TextInputFormat], classOf[LongWritable], classOf[Text], conf).map(_._2.toString).toDF()

PYTHON

log_rdd = sc.newAPIHadoopFile("/path/to/file", "org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.lib.input.TextInputFormat", "org.apache.hadoop.io.LongWritable", "org.apache.hadoop.io.Text", conf).map(lambda x: [x[1]])

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.