Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Python logging: 'Operation not supported' after upgrading to DBRT 6.1

zachary_jones
New Contributor

My organization has an S3 bucket mounted to the databricks filesystem under

/dbfs/mnt
. When using Databricks runtime 5.5 and below, the following logging code works correctly:

log_file = '/dbfs/mnt/path/to/my/bucket/test.log' logger = logging.getLogger('test-logger') logger.setLevel(logging.INFO) handler = logging.FileHandler(str(log_file)) handler.setLevel(logging.INFO) logger.addHandler(handler)

logger.info('test')

After upgrading to Databricks runtime 6.1, the above code produces a logging error "OSError: [Errno 95] Operation not supported". Here's the stack trace that is printed:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/databricks/python/lib/python3.7/logging/__init__.py", line 1038, in emit
    self.flush()
  File "/databricks/python/lib/python3.7/logging/__init__.py", line 1018, in flush
    self.stream.flush()
OSError: [Errno 95] Operation not supported

The strange thing is that regular Python file I/O works fine with the same file. (i.e. I can

open()
and
write()
to that filepath successfully.) Any idea what's going on?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Etch
New Contributor III

According to the limitations in the Docs, starting from runtime 6.0, random writes to dbfs are no longer supported.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

SanghyunLee
New Contributor II

> The strange thing is that regular Python file I/O works fine with the same file. (i.e. I can open() and write() to that filepath successfully.) Any idea what's going on?

If you try to do a further operation after opening the file it will throw the same error. I'm also experiencing the same issue.

Etch
New Contributor III

According to the limitations in the Docs, starting from runtime 6.0, random writes to dbfs are no longer supported.

lycenok
New Contributor II

Probably it's worth to try to rewrite the emit ... https://docs.python.org/3/library/logging.html#handlers

This works for me:

class OurFileHandler(logging.FileHandler):

def emit(self, record):
   # copied from https://github.com/python/cpython/blob/master/Lib/logging/__init__.p
   if self.stream is None:
     self.stream = self._open()
   try:
     msg = self.format(record)
     stream = self.stream
     # issue 35046: merged two stream.writes into one.
     stream.write(msg + self.terminator)
     self.flush()
   except RecursionError:  # See issue 36272
     raise
   except Exception:
     self.handleError(record)

# logger must be defined 
ch = logging.FileHandler(log_file_path)
ch = OurFileHandler(log_file_path)
formatter = logging.Formatter(
    '%(asctime)s: %(name)s (%(levelname)s): %(message)s'
)
ch.setFormatter(formatter)
logger.addHandler(ch)

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.