Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job aborted due to stage failure: Task 0 in stage 4.0 failed 1 times, most recent failure: Lost task 0.0 in stage 4.0 (TID 4, localhost, executor driver): java.lang.NullPointerException

SindhujaRaghupa
New Contributor II

I have uploaded a csv file which have well formatted data and I was trying to use

display(questions) where questions=spark.read.option("header","true").csv("/FileStore/tables/Questions.csv")

This is throwing an error as follows:

SparkException: Job aborted due to stage failure: Task 0 in stage 4.0 failed 1 times, most recent failure: Lost task 0.0 in stage 4.0 (TID 4, localhost, executor driver): java.lang.NullPointerException at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.datasources.csv.UnivocityParser.org$apache$spark$sql$execution$datasources$csv$UnivocityParser$$convert(UnivocityParser.scala:196) at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.datasources.csv.UnivocityParser.parse(UnivocityParser.scala:193) at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.datasources.csv.UnivocityParser$$anonfun$5.apply(UnivocityParser.scala:320) at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.datasources.csv.UnivocityParser$$anonfun$5.apply(UnivocityParser.scala:320) at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.datasources.FailureSafeParser.parse(FailureSafeParser.scala:62) at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.datasources.csv.UnivocityParser$$anonfun$parseIterator$2.apply(UnivocityParser.scala:327) at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.datasources.csv.UnivocityParser$$anonfun$parseIterator$2.apply(UnivocityParser.scala:327) at scala.collection.Iterator$$anon$12.nextCur(Iterator.scala:434) at scala.collection.Iterator$$anon$12.hasNext(Iterator.scala:440) at org.apache.spark.util.CompletionIterator.hasNext(CompletionIterator.scala:32) at scala.collection.Iterator$$anon$11.hasNext(Iterator.scala:408) at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.datasources.FileScanRDD$$anon$1.hasNext(FileScanRDD.scala:161) at org.apache.spark.sql.catalyst.expressions.GeneratedClass$GeneratedIterator.processNext(Unknown Source) at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.BufferedRowIterator.hasNext(BufferedRowIterator.java:43) at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.WholeStageCodegenExec$$anonfun$8$$anon$1.hasNext(WholeStageCodegenExec.scala:423) at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.collect.UnsafeRowBatchUtils$.encodeUnsafeRows(UnsafeRowBatchUtils.scala:49) at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.collect.Collector$$anonfun$2.apply(Collector.scala:126) at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.collect.Collector$$anonfun$2.apply(Collector.scala:125) at org.apache.spark.scheduler.ResultTask.runTask(ResultTask.scala:87) at org.apache.spark.scheduler.Task.run(Task.scala:110) at org.apache.spark.executor.Executor$TaskRunner.run(Executor.scala:349) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

Driver stacktrace:

3 REPLIES 3

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @SindhujaRaghupatruni ! My name is Kaniz, and I'm the technical moderator here. Great to meet you, and thanks for your question! Let's see if your peers on the Forum have an answer to your questions first. Or else I will follow up shortly with a response.

shan_chandra
Honored Contributor III
Honored Contributor III

Hi @Sindhuja Raghupatruni​  - could you please try specifying the below option during the spark read.

option("inferSchema", "true")

SS2
Valued Contributor

You can use inferschema​

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.