Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

org.apache.spark.SparkException: Job aborted due to stage failure: Total size of serialized results of 69 tasks (4.0 GB) is bigger than spark.driver.maxResultSize (4.0 GB)

sachinmkp1
New Contributor II

set spark.conf.set("spark.driver.maxResultSize", "20g")

get spark.conf.get("spark.driver.maxResultSize") // 20g which is expected in notebook , I did not do in cluster level setting

still getting 4g while executing the spark job , why?

because of this job is getting failed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jose_gonzalez

Hi @sachinmkp1@gmail.com​ ,

You need to add this Spark configuration at your cluster level, not at the notebook level. When you add it to the cluster level it will apply the settings properly. For more details on this issue, please check our knowledge base article https://kb.databricks.com/jobs/job-fails-maxresultsize-exception.html

Thank you.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

sachinmkp1
New Contributor II

question is- when I go to set spark.driver.maxResultSize = 20g in notebook only , it is not taking while executing the job even when I try to get the spark.driver.maxResultSize value in notebook I am getting 20g.

Still need clarification why does it behave like this?

jose_gonzalez

Hi @sachinmkp1@gmail.com​ ,

You need to add this Spark configuration at your cluster level, not at the notebook level. When you add it to the cluster level it will apply the settings properly. For more details on this issue, please check our knowledge base article https://kb.databricks.com/jobs/job-fails-maxresultsize-exception.html

Thank you.

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @sachinmkp1@gmail.com​ , Does @Jose Gonzalez​  's reply answer your question?

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.