Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Spark creating multiple jobs for one action?

Nastasia
New Contributor II

I noticed that when launching this bunch of code with only one action, I have three jobs that are launched.

from pyspark.sql import DataFrame from pyspark.sql.types import StructType, StructField, StringType from pyspark.sql.functions import avg
data: List = [("Diamant_1A", "TopDiamant", "300", "rouge"), ("Diamant_2B", "Diamants pour toujours", "45", "jaune"), ("Diamant_3C", "Mes diamants préférés", "78", "rouge"), ("Diamant_4D", "Diamants que j'aime", "90", "jaune"), ("Diamant_5E", "TopDiamant", "89", "bleu") ]
schema: StructType = StructType([ \ StructField("reference", StringType(), True), \ StructField("marque", StringType(), True), \ StructField("prix", StringType(), True), \ StructField("couleur", StringType(), True) ])
dataframe: DataFrame = spark.createDataFrame(data=data,schema=schema)
dataframe_filtree:DataFrame = dataframe.filter("prix > 50")
dataframe_filtree.show()

From my understanding, I should get only one. One action corresponds to one job.

I don't know why I have 3 jobs.

Here is the first one :

https___i.stack.imgur.com_xfYDe.png 

Here is the second one :

LTHBMAnd this is the last one :

DdfHN

3 REPLIES 3

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @ Nastasia! My name is Kaniz, and I'm a technical moderator here. Great to meet you, and thanks for your question! Let's see if your peers on the Forum have an answer to your questions first. Or else I will follow up shortly with a response.

chrishj
New Contributor II

I am very curious about this. Any answer?

RKNutalapati
Valued Contributor

The above code will create two jobs.

JOB-1. dataframe: DataFrame = spark.createDataFrame(data=data,schema=schema)

The createDataFrame function is responsible for inferring the schema from the provided data or using the specified schema.Depending on the data source, this might involve reading a small sample of the data to infer the schema correctly.This operation might be triggered lazily but can sometimes cause Spark to execute certain tasks immediately.

So, in practical terms, while createDataFrame is usually considered a transformation, there might be scenarios,
especially with certain data sources, where it involves internal actions for schema inference

JOB-2. dataframe_filtree.show()

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.