cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Databricks Certified Professional Data Scientist Exam Question Types

pthaenraj
New Contributor III

Hello,

I am not seeing a lot of information regarding the Databricks Certified Professional Data Scientist

exam. I took the Associate Developer in Apache Spark Exam last year and the materials for the exam seemed much more focused than what I found for this exam....

What kind of questions can I expect on the exam? will there be computational questions or will the question be more theoretical? Is reading the recommended textbook (Introduction to Statistical Learning and Elements of Statistical Learning) enough to do well on the exam? Additionally, I'm seeing on the FAQ doc for the certification that the test will not have any programming aspects and will instead be focused on ML and data science theory. If this is the case, why is the Learning Spark textbook a part of the recommended reading?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Abdull
New Contributor III

Hello @Sundar R​ , Yes I took the exam. Unfortunately I fail to reach the pass mark even though I got close. Things I could have did different:

1. I focused so much in mastering each topics i.e. linear, logistic & regularized regression, ALS and etc. But I could have understood every component without focusing on the mathematics behind the algorithm
  2. It's not Technical exam so meaning you don't have to worry about coding or even backbone calculations of the algorithms
  3. There is a lot of which of the following type of questions and case edged question i.e. you're the senior data scientist and your junior data scientist did this or asked you this.... kinda of questions
  4. do not expect short questions that you think you'll save some minutes for the next questions (there are but don't plan on it)
  5. There are long questions with long Multiple choices to read though so plan well with each questions.
  6. it's a theory exam with experience backed answers.
  7. in general it's relatively ease questions just be sure with your answers because they're closely similar.

Hope this will help you prepare for the exam. Am retaking the exam soon myself meanwhile i will try to share some resources that will help you.

Thanks.

Happy new year to you and everyone.💥

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @Pranav Thaenraj​. My name is Piper and I'm one of the community moderators at Databricks. This is a great question! I'm sure members of the community will be able to answer your question soon. If not, the team will be back on Monday.

In the meantime, my guess is that the information in Learning Spark is probably a good grounding and you'll learn more in there than you think. That comes from my general belief that the more information you can get, the better.

Abdull
New Contributor III

That's a question me myself i have been struggling with, I don't know what kind of questions to expect and I have been planning to do this exam for months ....currently and kinda using google/AWS roadmap and questions to prepare since there are enough support and resources. The commercial dumps for Databricks Certified Professional Data Scientist prep are not genuine at least the ones i have came across.

Kindly @Piper Wilson​  you'll be of help to the community if you accelerate this matter to involved team.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Abbdullahi Ahmed​ - Absolutely I will! 🙂

Please give the team until next week to get back to us.

mathan_pillai
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I recently cleared this exam by preparing the topics listed in the  "prerequisites", in the below link. The exam questions were based on these topics.

https://academy.databricks.com/exam/databricks-certified-professional-data-scientist

you can also enrol for the "preparation" courses listed in above link.

In addition, I also used this book for preparing "Hands-On Machine Learning with Scikit-Learn and TensorFlow_ Concepts, Tools, and Techniques to Build Intelligent Systems".

Good luck !!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Abbdullahi Ahmed​ - Does @Mathan Pillai​'s response answer your question?

Abdull
New Contributor III

Not really but it gives me confidante to stop over thinking and just trust my preparation using the exam scope.

Thanks though 😍

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's good advice. What's even better is that it's your own advice. Best of luck to you. Please let us know how it goes!

SundarR
New Contributor II

Hi Abdull, Did you happen to take the certification and if yes, can you help with the overall topics covered ? I assume that, other than MlFlow, no technical Spark questions were asked​

Abdull
New Contributor III

Hello @Sundar R​ , Yes I took the exam. Unfortunately I fail to reach the pass mark even though I got close. Things I could have did different:

1. I focused so much in mastering each topics i.e. linear, logistic & regularized regression, ALS and etc. But I could have understood every component without focusing on the mathematics behind the algorithm
  2. It's not Technical exam so meaning you don't have to worry about coding or even backbone calculations of the algorithms
  3. There is a lot of which of the following type of questions and case edged question i.e. you're the senior data scientist and your junior data scientist did this or asked you this.... kinda of questions
  4. do not expect short questions that you think you'll save some minutes for the next questions (there are but don't plan on it)
  5. There are long questions with long Multiple choices to read though so plan well with each questions.
  6. it's a theory exam with experience backed answers.
  7. in general it's relatively ease questions just be sure with your answers because they're closely similar.

Hope this will help you prepare for the exam. Am retaking the exam soon myself meanwhile i will try to share some resources that will help you.

Thanks.

Happy new year to you and everyone.💥

SundarR
New Contributor II

Hi Abdull,

Appreciate your quick and detailed response !! This certainly helps !!

I am sorry you didn't pass the first attempt. All the best for the second attempt !

Thanks

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.