cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Query Pushdown in Snowflake

Sam
New Contributor III

Hi,

I am wondering what documentation exists on Query Pushdown in Snowflake.

I noticed that a single function (monitonically_increasing_id()) prevented the entire query being pushed down to Snowflake during an ETL process.

Is Pushdown coming from the Spark JDBC connector OR is this from Databricks itself?

Is it possible to determine whether the query will be pushed down?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

siddhathPanchal
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Hi Sam,

The Spark Connector applies predicate and query pushdown by capturing and analyzing the Spark logical plans for SQL operations. When the data source is Snowflake, the operations are translated into a SQL query and then executed in Snowflake to improve performance.

However, because this translation requires almost a one-to-one translation of Spark SQL operators to Snowflake expressions, not all of Spark SQL operators can be pushed down. When pushdown fails, the connector falls back to a less-optimized execution plan. The unsupported operations are instead performed in Spark.

https://docs.snowflake.com/en/user-guide/spark-connector-use.html#pushdown

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @ Sam ! My name is Kaniz, and I'm the technical moderator here. Great to meet you, and thanks for your question! Let's see if your peers on the community have an answer to your question first. Or else I will follow up shortly with a response.

siddhathPanchal
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Hi Sam,

The Spark Connector applies predicate and query pushdown by capturing and analyzing the Spark logical plans for SQL operations. When the data source is Snowflake, the operations are translated into a SQL query and then executed in Snowflake to improve performance.

However, because this translation requires almost a one-to-one translation of Spark SQL operators to Snowflake expressions, not all of Spark SQL operators can be pushed down. When pushdown fails, the connector falls back to a less-optimized execution plan. The unsupported operations are instead performed in Spark.

https://docs.snowflake.com/en/user-guide/spark-connector-use.html#pushdown

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.