cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I run a scala script from the Terminal

Zen
New Contributor III

Hello,

how do I run a scala script from a Terminal on Databricks - Web Terminal, or from a cell with %sh

just doing `scala -nc script.scala` is not working.

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

User16753724663
Valued Contributor

Hi @Zen​ 

the web terminal is basically used for shell commands only and specific to driver node only.

You can install the scala on top of the driver node from web terminal with below command and use it:

% sudo apt install scala

Please let me know if this helps.

Regards,

Darshan

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @ Zen ! My name is Kaniz, and I'm the technical moderator here. Great to meet you, and thanks for your question! Let's see if your peers on the community have an answer to your question first. Or else I will follow up shortly with a response.

Zen
New Contributor III

thank you @Kaniz Fatma​  - unfortunately, I haven't gotten a response for this - it'd help me greatly if you could help with this question, thanks

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Zen​  ,

You're most welcome at Databricks Community .

Sorry to keep you waiting.

I'm glad to help  you here.

We'll get an answer soon for your question.

Thank you for your patience.

Zen
New Contributor III

thank you @Kaniz Fatma​  , some additional info about this. I tried the suggestions here:

https://forums.databricks.com/questions/63537/how-do-you-start-a-spark-shell-on-the-cluster-mast.htm...

but got the same errors as in the link

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

You're welcome @Zen​ .

I'll revert back to you asap .

Thanks for waiting .

Zen
New Contributor III

Hi @Kaniz Fatma​  - I'm following up to check if you were able to find any information on my question. I'd greatly appreciate your help - thank you,

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Zen​ ,

Sorry to keep you waiting.

My team is looking into it.

We'll revert back to you soon with a response.

Thank you for your patience😊 .

User16753724663
Valued Contributor

Hi @Zen​ 

the web terminal is basically used for shell commands only and specific to driver node only.

You can install the scala on top of the driver node from web terminal with below command and use it:

% sudo apt install scala

Please let me know if this helps.

Regards,

Darshan

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Zen)​, Just a friendly follow-up. Do you still need help, or @DARSHAN BARGAL​ 's response help you to find the solution? Please let us know.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.