Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I backup my Databricks instance?

ChristianWuerdi
New Contributor III

We have a Databricks instance on Azure that has somewhat organically grow with dozens of users and hundreds of notebooks. How do I conveniently backup this env so in case disaster strikes the notebooks aren't lost? The data itself is backed by Azure storage accounts so that's already taken care of.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

Totally understandable.

But why don't you use the new Repos functionality? Like that you always have your code in git.

(the cli command is:

databricks workspace export_dir SOURCE_PATH TARGET PATH

Sourcepath is "/" for the whole workspace.)

But Repos is a way better alternative, no idea why it did not pop into my head yesterday.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

I use the Databricks CLI for that and export the entire workspace on a regular basis.

Check it out, it has tons of handy functions.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/databricks/dev-tools/cli/

Ok thanks, bit uncomfortable to rely on a tool that's labelled experimental to do backups but I guess it's the best option at the moment. You wouldn't happen to have some handy command line example to backup a whole workspace?

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

Totally understandable.

But why don't you use the new Repos functionality? Like that you always have your code in git.

(the cli command is:

databricks workspace export_dir SOURCE_PATH TARGET PATH

Sourcepath is "/" for the whole workspace.)

But Repos is a way better alternative, no idea why it did not pop into my head yesterday.

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Christian Wuerdig​ , Just a friendly follow-up. Do you still need help, or @Werner Stinckens​ (Customer)​ 's response help you to find the solution? Please let us know.

ChristianWuerdi
New Contributor III

@Kaniz Fatma​ All good thanks, combination of CLI + gradually migrating everything to git is a viable solution

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.