Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are there data types that are not good in Delta format? Does Delta handle images, audio, and video?

StephanieRivera
Valued Contributor II
Valued Contributor II
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi as it is transaction tables (there are history commits and snapshot). I would not store there images or videos as it can be saved few times and you will have high storage costs, it can also be slow when data is big.

I would definitely store images, audio and video in objects storage with ids, than in delta you could have just referencing id/path to file. Delta can be on the same blob storage (s3, Azure blob...) as objects.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi as it is transaction tables (there are history commits and snapshot). I would not store there images or videos as it can be saved few times and you will have high storage costs, it can also be slow when data is big.

I would definitely store images, audio and video in objects storage with ids, than in delta you could have just referencing id/path to file. Delta can be on the same blob storage (s3, Azure blob...) as objects.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.