Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autoloader failed

dimoobraznii
New Contributor III

I used autoloader with TriggerOnce = true and ran it for weeks with schedule. Today it broke:

The metadata file in the streaming source checkpoint directory is missing. This metadata

file contains important default options for the stream, so the stream cannot be restarted

right now. Please contact Databricks support for assistance.

StreamingQueryException:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

StreamingQueryException Traceback (most recent call last)

<command-1866658421247823> in <module>

1 #Waiting end of autoloader

----> 2 autoloader_query.awaitTermination()

4 #Show the output from the autoloader job

5 autoloader_query.recentProgress

/databricks/spark/python/pyspark/sql/streaming.py in awaitTermination(self, timeout)

99 return self._jsq.awaitTermination(int(timeout * 1000))

100 else:

--> 101 return self._jsq.awaitTermination()

103 @property

/databricks/spark/python/lib/py4j-0.10.9-src.zip/py4j/java_gateway.py in __call__(self, *args)

1303 answer = self.gateway_client.send_command(command)

-> 1304 return_value = get_return_value(

1305 answer, self.gateway_client, self.target_id, self.name)

/databricks/spark/python/pyspark/sql/utils.py in deco(*a, **kw)

121 # Hide where the exception came from that shows a non-Pythonic

122 # JVM exception message.

--> 123 raise converted from None

124 else:

125 raise

StreamingQueryException:

The metadata file in the streaming source checkpoint directory is missing. This metadata

file contains important default options for the stream, so the stream cannot be restarted

right now. Please contact Databricks support for assistance.

=== Streaming Query ===

Identifier: [id = 0416c163-a2de-4f6d-82f7-189a0e7bb39e, runId = 5b7a00bb-3c27-4f04-bfd7-bce8d36bf225]

Current Committed Offsets: {CloudFilesSource[wasbs://data@<MY STORAGE>.blob.core.windows.net/*/*/*/*/]: {"seqNum":18550,"sourceVersion":1,"lastBackfillStartTimeMs":1632167318876,"lastBackfillFinishTimeMs":1632167323294}}

Current Available Offsets: {CloudFilesSource[wasbs://bidata@colllectorprotostorage.blob.core.windows.net/*/*/*/*/]: {"seqNum":18560,"sourceVersion":1,"lastBackfillStartTimeMs":1632167318876,"lastBackfillFinishTimeMs":1632167323294}}

Current State: ACTIVE

Thread State: RUNNABLE

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

.option("checkpointLocation", "dbfs://checkpointPath")

In future you can specify location by yourself (using above option) to have better control on it. I bet that checkpoint was on source directory and somehow it was corrupted or deleted.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @ dimoobraznii! My name is Kaniz, and I'm the technical moderator here. Great to meet you, and thanks for your question! Let's see if your peers in the community have an answer to your question first. Or else I will get back to you soon. Thanks.

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

.option("checkpointLocation", "dbfs://checkpointPath")

In future you can specify location by yourself (using above option) to have better control on it. I bet that checkpoint was on source directory and somehow it was corrupted or deleted.

I have this:

checkpoint_path = target_path + "checkpoints/"

autoloader_query = (raw_df.writeStream
                 .format("delta")
                 .trigger(once=True)
                 .option("checkpointLocation",checkpoint_path)
                 .partitionBy("p_ingest_date_utc","p_ingest_hour_utc")
                 .table("raw_cooked")
                )

So I have it. And it was working long time.

Deepak_Bhutada
Contributor III

Hi dimoobraznii (Customer)

This error comes in streaming when someone makes changes to the streaming checkpoint directory manually or points some streaming type to the checkpoint of some other streaming type. Please check if any changes were made to the checkpoint just before the error run.

CaptureThank you, Deepak, I see the folder and many folders in it. How can I identify the changes if any in Azure Gen2?

@dimoobraznii (Customer)​ I think the Azure storage team could help to identify the changes made on the metadata file. You could check this with them

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.