Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to make terminal available when starting a cluster with a docker image?

francescocamuss
New Contributor III

Hello everybody, I'm starting a cluster with a docker image because I my team use a lot of R libraries that would be time consuming to install them on a init script.

image.pngThe thing is that the cluster starts ok, but I can't acces to the cluster terminal as I can do with my other cluster that don't use any docker image.

imageIs there a solution for this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Francesco Camussoniโ€‹ , This is one of the limitations of DBR.

Limitations of DBR:-

• Azure Databricks does not support running Spark jobs from the web terminal. In addition, the Azure Databricks web terminal is not available in the following cluster types:
  • Clusters launched with the DISABLE_WEB_TERMINAL=true environment variable set.

Source

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @ francescocamussoni,

Here's the documentation.

Please have a look.

https://docs.databricks.com/clusters/custom-containers.html

Yes, I've read that post but it doesn't specify anything about the cluster terminal or does it?

Prabakar
Esteemed Contributor III
Esteemed Contributor III

@Francesco Camussoniโ€‹  are you using databricksruntime/rbase as your base image?

Exactly rbase:8.x with runtime 8.3, for example. and I added the init script.

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Francesco Camussoniโ€‹ , This is one of the limitations of DBR.

Limitations of DBR:-

• Azure Databricks does not support running Spark jobs from the web terminal. In addition, the Azure Databricks web terminal is not available in the following cluster types:
  • Clusters launched with the DISABLE_WEB_TERMINAL=true environment variable set.

Source

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.