Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to avoid DataBricks Secret Scope from exposing the value of the key resides in Azure Key Vault?

Raghav1
New Contributor II

databricks issueI have created a key in Azure Key Vault to store my secrets in it. In order to use it securely in Azure DataBricks, have created the secret scope and configured the Azure Key Vault properties. Out of curiosity, just wanted to check whether my key is safe and secure. Because, I don't want it to get exposed. Bit surprised here. I was able to print the value of the key which resides in the Key Vault from DataBricks playground.

Is it a bug?

8 REPLIES 8

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @ Raghav! My name is Kaniz, and I'm the technical moderator here. Great to meet you, and thanks for your question! Let's see if your peers in the community have an answer to your question first. Or else I will get back to you soon. Thanks.

Raghav1
New Contributor II

Thank you

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

Have you set up the secret access control?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/databricks/security/access-control/secret-acl

Looks like you have admin rights on the secret scope.

Raghav1
New Contributor II

Hi @Werner Stinckens​ !

I don't have admin rights on the secret scope. Let us consider that I have the admin privilege on the secret scope. Situation here is, if I print it without iterating it in a for loop the output is kind of encrypted where it is showing [REDACTED]. But, if I do it as shown in the screenshot, I'm able to see the value of the secret key. That shouldn't be the case right?

Another important thing here is the secret scope is Azure Key Vault Backed. Funny part here is within my organization, I don't have the access to list the secrets available in key vault. But, I can able to see the value of the secrets if the name of the scope is known.

Ultimatum here is the value of the key shouldn't exposed in DataBricks notebook. Correct me if I'm wrong.

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

No I think you are correct. The key should not be exposed.

This is either a bug, or some missing config.

I should test it myself.

dazfuller
Contributor III

Hi

This is a known limitation and is called out in the documentation available here:

https://docs.databricks.com/security/secrets/redaction.html

prasadvaze
Valued Contributor

@Kaniz Fatma​ is any fix coming soon for this? this is a big security loophole

The docs say that "To ensure proper control of secrets you should use Workspace object access control (limiting permission to run commands) " --- if i prevent access to run cmd in notebook then how can user work ? Can the permission restrict on 'certain' commands? how?

setting ( spark.secret.redactionPattern Ture ) on cluster does NOT help

Unfortunately it's basically not possible to solve this problem when you're using the secrets API. Because Databricks is a general purpose compute platform, we could attempt to make this slightly more difficult but we couldn't actually solve it. For example, if we matched whitespace between characters, then people could further obfuscate it (such as base64 encode the secret and then printing that).

Even if we went to great lengths to build a custom class that couldn't be printed, in order to use that secret we would have to allow it to be converted to a string (without protection) because all functions that actually use the secret would need to use a string. For example, in order to use an API Key in a python request, the requests module needs to have a plain string in order to pass it out.

Basically, given the general purpose compute platform, the conflict between usability and security is such that the secrets API can't be usable if the passwords aren't discoverable (and in practice, it is very difficult to create methods that are not trivial to bypass).

That said, the best path forward is to avoid relying on the secrets API when we can. This can't be applied for every use case, but for specific traffic flows where Databricks can own the entire process (such as accessing a specific ADLS storage account or S3 / GCS bucket), or where we can implement a native integration with roles provided by the cloud provider so that no explicit credentials are required (such as with AWS IAM Instance Profiles). Some of those abilities are already in place, and Databricks is working to deliver more capabilities in this area in the near future.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.