Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retrieve workspace instance name on E2 architecture (multi-tenant) in notebook running on job cluster

Deepak_Bhutada
Contributor III

I have a databricks job on E2 architecture in which I want to retrieve the workspace instance name within a notebook running in a Job cluster context so that I can use it further in my use case. 

While the call

dbutils.notebook.entry_point.getDbutils().notebook().getContext().tags().apply("browserHostName") 

works in an All-Purpose cluster in an interactive way, this key does not exist when running in a Job cluster context.

3 REPLIES 3

Deepak_Bhutada
Contributor III

it is not possible to get the workspace URL/Shard name from MT/E2 because we don't inject the user-visible URL, but the driver reachable one.

But as a workaround to get the shardname in our job, we can write a file with our shard name in a particular dbfs location and read it inside the job as shown below:

dbutils.fs.put("/FileStore/Deepak-test/ShardName.txt", "https://cse2.cloud.databricks.com/")

When you will run a job, you can read that file and get the shard name from there.

dbutils.fs.head("/FileStore/Deepak-test/ShardName.txt")

Or you can create a dictionary as well which you can use to get shardname inside a job

WORKSPACES = {
"111": "workspace1",
"222": "workspace1"
}

org_id = get_notebook_context().tags().apply("orgId")

print(f"https://{WORKSPACES[org_id]}.cloud.databricks.com")

Thomas_B_
New Contributor II

Actually is anybody aware of a fix for Azure Databricks, too? (My use case is to send out status messages from a batch run which includes a link to the job cluster page or run page to allow operators to click for details.)

Thomas_B_
New Contributor II

Found workaround for Azure Databricks question above: dbutils.notebook.getContext().apiUrl will return the regional URI, but this forwards to the workspace-specific one if the workspace id is specified with o=.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.