Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are notebooks encrypted even if no CMK is provided?

Anonymous
Not applicable

This document (https://docs.databricks.com/security/keys/customer-managed-keys-managed-services-aws.html) describes how to use a customer managed key to encrypt notebooks in the control plane.

We would please like to verify: if no CMK is provided, are notebooks still encrypted using a key provided by Databricks or the cloud provider?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Filippo-DB
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Hello @Nathan Buesgens​ , from a high level point of view, by default, notebooks source code and metadata in the control plane are encrypted at rest in AWS RDS using AWS KMS with a Databricks-managed Key.

But there is other data related to notebooks and things change depending on what kind of data you are referring to and how you use notebooks (interactive vs. jobs).

I would recommend to reach out to your account team and request a copy of the enterprise security guide which provides an in-depth description of Databricks' security posture.

Cheers,

Filippo

The compliance guy

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @Nathan Buesgens​ - My name is Piper and I'm one of the moderators for Databricks. Thanks for your question and it's great to meet you myself.

Let's give the community a bit longer to respond. If nothing comes our way, we'll circle back to you.

Filippo-DB
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Hello @Nathan Buesgens​ , from a high level point of view, by default, notebooks source code and metadata in the control plane are encrypted at rest in AWS RDS using AWS KMS with a Databricks-managed Key.

But there is other data related to notebooks and things change depending on what kind of data you are referring to and how you use notebooks (interactive vs. jobs).

I would recommend to reach out to your account team and request a copy of the enterprise security guide which provides an in-depth description of Databricks' security posture.

Cheers,

Filippo

The compliance guy

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Nathan Buesgens​ , Just a friendly follow-up. Do you still need help, or @Filippo Seracini​ 's response help you to find the solution? Please let us know.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.