Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Databricks SQL not displaying all the databases that i have on my cluster.

DB_007
New Contributor III

I have a cluster running on 7.3 LTS and it has about 35+ databases. When i tried to setup an endpoint on Databricks SQL, i do not see any database listed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

User16871418122
Contributor III

hi @Arif Ali​  You may have to check the data access config to add the params for external metastore:

spark.hadoop.javax.jdo.option.ConnectionDriverName org.mariadb.jdbc.Driver

spark.hadoop.javax.jdo.option.ConnectionUserName <mysql-username>

spark.hadoop.javax.jdo.option.ConnectionPassword <mysql-password>

spark.sql.hive.metastore.version <hive-version>

spark.sql.hive.metastore.jars <hive-jar-source>

Screenshot 2021-11-17 at 8.24.33 AM 

If the data access config is already added, it is likely the metastore initialization is taking longer. ie( spark to apply the spark configs to load metastore). If given some more time it will initialize the metastore and enables schema browsing. If still issues, the configs may be wrong, you shall have them validated on interactive Databricks cluster before applying in SQL endpoints.

In the near future with the Unity catalog, the schema browsing is cluster less. The dependency on having a cluster is removed. 😊

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Atanu
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Could you please share a screenshot?

DB_007
New Contributor III

Attached pic

Atanu
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@Arif Ali​  Not seeing the pic. Could you please upload again.

DB_007
New Contributor III

Atanu
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Another question @Arif Ali​  what is the permission level you inherit from this cluster?

DB_007
New Contributor III

I have admin privileges on the cluster and also full access to the endpoint. Metastore is external and do i need to do anything in order to get databases listed on the Databricks SQL.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Arif Ali​ There might be a couple of reasons.

1. If you're using an external metastore, please add the required Data access configurations as mentioned in https://docs.databricks.com/sql/admin/data-access-configuration.html

User16871418122
Contributor III

hi @Arif Ali​  You may have to check the data access config to add the params for external metastore:

spark.hadoop.javax.jdo.option.ConnectionDriverName org.mariadb.jdbc.Driver

spark.hadoop.javax.jdo.option.ConnectionUserName <mysql-username>

spark.hadoop.javax.jdo.option.ConnectionPassword <mysql-password>

spark.sql.hive.metastore.version <hive-version>

spark.sql.hive.metastore.jars <hive-jar-source>

Screenshot 2021-11-17 at 8.24.33 AM 

If the data access config is already added, it is likely the metastore initialization is taking longer. ie( spark to apply the spark configs to load metastore). If given some more time it will initialize the metastore and enables schema browsing. If still issues, the configs may be wrong, you shall have them validated on interactive Databricks cluster before applying in SQL endpoints.

In the near future with the Unity catalog, the schema browsing is cluster less. The dependency on having a cluster is removed. 😊

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.