cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repos configuration for Azure Service Principal

pantelis_mare
Contributor III

Hello community!

I would like to update a repo from within my Azure DevOps release pipeline.

In the pipeline I generate a token using a AAD Service Principal as recommended, and I setup the databricks api using that token.

When I pass the databricks repos update command, I receive an authenitcation error, which is expected and the service principal has not git configured on the workspace side.

My question is:

Can I configure the repos for the SPN programmatically?

Or, is there a way to provide an Azure Devops token when I make the databricks api call? I have tried passing a token by setting the git AZURE_DEVOPS_EXT_PAT but it doesn't seem to work.

Thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Srihasa_Akepati
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

@Pantelis Maroudis​ I would like to comment on the Azure SP supportability feature - Updating a databricks repo using Repos API to authenticate using Azure Service Principal AAD is not supported yet. Active work is in progress, We can expect it by Jan 2022.

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @ pantelis_mare! My name is Kaniz, and I'm the technical moderator here. Great to meet you, and thanks for your question! Let's see if your peers in the community have an answer to your question first. Or else I will get back to you soon. Thanks.

jose_gonzalez

Hi @Pantelis Maroudis​ ,

Let me reach out to the SME group to get help on your question.

Srihasa_Akepati
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

@Pantelis Maroudis​ I would like to comment on the Azure SP supportability feature - Updating a databricks repo using Repos API to authenticate using Azure Service Principal AAD is not supported yet. Active work is in progress, We can expect it by Jan 2022.

pantelis_mare
Contributor III

Thank you @Srihasa Reddy Akepati​ . Looking forward to it 🙂

JakeP
New Contributor III

Hello, curious if any update on this? I too would like to use AAD token auth (as service principal) to call repos POST and PATCH from an Azure DevOps pipeline. Thanks!

Hello @Jake Panchyshyn​ 

From my side I used a separate token generated from account for all steps in my pipeline that needed to use the repos api

JakeP
New Contributor III

Thanks, though, could you elaborate as to what kind of token you generate as what account or identity? Are you authenticating as a user (rather than service principal) or ??

Sorry for the late reply @Jake Panchyshyn​ .

Yes, I use a token generated from my account to interact with the repos API in my pipeline. For the rest of the operations (eg job creation) I use the token generated by the service principal

Kirk1
New Contributor III

Is this supported now given that it is past the Jan 2022 date stated above? Because I have found that a SPN still can't authenticate via AAD.

venkad
Contributor

Looking forward for this update​

Ben_Templeton__
New Contributor III

@Srihasa Reddy Akepati​  Any update on this?

Srihasa_Akepati
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

@Ben Templeton​ Iam checking internally on the status of this feature. I will update the thread once i receive response.

Kirk1
New Contributor III

I got this response from Databricks on this topic: "The AAD support depends on Microsoft implementing token exchange for ADO. This is underway but we don't have a timeline for it."

Martin1337
New Contributor II

Has there been any updates here? Or any viable workaround?​

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.