Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incremental updates in Delta Live Tables

User16752240003
Contributor

What happens if we change the logic for the delta live tables and we do an incremental update. Does the table get reset (refresh) automatically or would it only apply the logic to new incoming data? would we have to trigger a reset in this case?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

User16752240003
Contributor

Here is my finding on when to refresh (reset) the table:

If it is a complete table all the changes would be apply automatically. 

If the table is incremental table, you need to do a manually reset (full refresh).

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

I doubt the table gets reset, as that would mean you could never change anything in a current setup.

Delta live was created to make life easier, so my guess is that it is new data only.

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

Delta is transactional so nothing will be reset, it can be deleted but you can always back to past using time capsule travel 🙂

One thing to which maybe you are referring is partitioning, when you overwrite data it will overwrite all partitions but you can use dynamic overwrite so you will only overwrite partitions which have new data:

spark.conf.set("spark.sql.sources.partitionOverwriteMode", "dynamic")

User16752240003
Contributor

Here is my finding on when to refresh (reset) the table:

If it is a complete table all the changes would be apply automatically. 

If the table is incremental table, you need to do a manually reset (full refresh).

Hi @Mojgan Mazouchi​ ,

According to the docs "Tables can be incremental or complete. Incremental tables support updates based on continually arriving data without having to recompute the entire table. A complete table is entirely recomputed with each update."

Docs here https://docs.databricks.com/data-engineering/delta-live-tables/delta-live-tables-user-guide.html#dat...

That implies that if there is any logic change for complete tables since it is recomputed on every update it is safe to not refresh the pipeline, where as with incremental tables if there is any change to recompute the changes we should refresh the pipeline, right?

According to the docs, yes.

Thanks Jose!

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.