Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Databricks Data Type Conversion error

Vibhor
Contributor

In databricks while writing data to curated layer, see error - Failed to execute user defined function (Double => decimal(38,18)). Does anyone know if faced such issue and how to resolve it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

What happens if you explicitly cast it?

I remember having such issues with implicit casting when goin from spark 2.x to 3.x, but these were solved by using explicit casting (not round()).

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Vibhor,

Thanks for your question. Let's give it a while to see what the community comes up with. We'll circle back if we need to.

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

What happens if you explicitly cast it?

I remember having such issues with implicit casting when goin from spark 2.x to 3.x, but these were solved by using explicit casting (not round()).

When we multiply 2 numbers; the result size could go to the tune of 2x (num1 size + num2 size). Before we are explicitly casting multiplication of these 2, the result is bigger than to be casted data type. Its something like (double (x,y) can't be converted to decimal (x,y-1)). If we decrease the data type size of the values to me multiplied before multiplication we are getting incorrect value due to precision loss.

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Vibhor Sethiโ€‹ , Can you tell me your dbr version?

Scala 2.11 spark 2.4.5

Hi @Vibhor Sethiโ€‹ ,

Could you please share more details on this issue? whats the error stack trace? could you share your code? are you writing to Delta or Parquet or which format?

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.