Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Governance
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access table outside Databricks (hive metastore)

William_Scardua
Valued Contributor

Hi guys, how are you ?

How can I access tables outside the Databricks ? (hive metastore)

I have a python script in my local structure but I need to access are tables stored in Databricks (hive metastore) , how ???? Have any idea ?

Thank you guys

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

You can use jdbc/odbc drivers https://docs.databricks.com/integrations/bi/jdbc-odbc-bi.html disadvantage is that in normal version general computing cluster have run.

In public preview there is serverless SQL endpoint - you need to ask databricks for enabling it.

Also when you store your table on storage mounts (Azure blob, s3, ADLS) from many tools (PowerBI, Sata Factory) you can load it as a dataset.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

You can use jdbc/odbc drivers https://docs.databricks.com/integrations/bi/jdbc-odbc-bi.html disadvantage is that in normal version general computing cluster have run.

In public preview there is serverless SQL endpoint - you need to ask databricks for enabling it.

Also when you store your table on storage mounts (Azure blob, s3, ADLS) from many tools (PowerBI, Sata Factory) you can load it as a dataset.

@Hubert Dudek​  the serveless SQL endpoint it seems to me a good choice

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

using odbc as Hubert mentioned is the easiest way.

Besides Databricks and Databricks SQL, there are also other options like Azure Synapse Serverless, Presto etc.

They all serve data as tables.

Python also has a parquet reader using pyarrow f.e.

thank you @Werner Stinckens​ 

pokharatours
New Contributor II

Thanks, Pokhara Tour

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.