Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kubernetes or ZooKeeper for HA?

mikep
New Contributor II

Hello. I am trying to understand High Availability in DataBricks. I understand that DB uses Kubernetes for the cluster manager and to manage Docker Containers. And while DB runs on top of AWS or Azure or GCP, is HA automatically provisioned when I start a cluster because of Kubernetes or Does it use ZooKeeper? In another scenario, if I configure the cluster mode to Standard, I only have one Driver (Master Node) which can be a single point of failure. Will Kubernetes take care of it if it fails or does it make sense to start up ZooKeeper to maintain a Quorum? Or does Kubernetes by default use ZooKeeper to watch ALL nodes? I hope this makes sense.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @Mike Poullas​ , regardless of any cloud providers, Cluster Manager ensures HA for your driver node.

Under the hood, almost all Databricks services are running on some K8s cluster.

ZooKeeper is not used.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @mikep! My name is Kaniz, and I'm the technical moderator here. Great to meet you, and thanks for your question! Let's see if your peers in the community have an answer to your question first. Or else I will get back to you soon. Thanks.

mikep
New Contributor II

Thanks so much Kaniz. Ultimately, I'm looking for any architecture details on how DB configures Kubernetes to manage nodes. Especially the Driver (Master Node). It's clear that Apache Spark can be configured to use ZooKeeper but I don't find anything regarding DataBricks. Thanks for your time.

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Mike Poullas​ , Perhaps this link might help you.

Please watch this video too.

Let me know if this helps.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @Mike Poullas​ , regardless of any cloud providers, Cluster Manager ensures HA for your driver node.

Under the hood, almost all Databricks services are running on some K8s cluster.

ZooKeeper is not used.

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Mike Poullas​ , Did @Ivan Tang​ 's reply answer your query?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.