Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Databricks SQL Connector

BorislavBlagoev
Valued Contributor III

I started to explore Databricks SQL Connector. And I'm wondering can I execute query from Databricks SQL Connector from notebook or job?

sample code:

'test_query' lives in Databricks SQL. It is ready to use query!

from databricks import sql

hostname = '<name>.databricks.com'
http_path = '/sql/1.0/endpoints/<endpoint_id>'
access_token = '<personal_token>'

connection = sql.connect(server_hostname=hostname, http_path=http_path, access_token=access_token)

cursor = connection.cursor()

cursor.execute('test_query')

result = cursor.fetchall()

for row in result:
  print(row)

cursor.close()

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

except nice UI and cool features there 😉 for me biggest advantage is that from PowerBI and Qlikview I can query data using SQL and use serverless SQL endpoint.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

yes you can as it is just python but in notebook you can use native SQL commands (of course there can be situation that you have some really big sql enpoint (like 64 DBU) so it can make sense in some situations but I don't think much and it creates complicated architecture)

BorislavBlagoev
Valued Contributor III

Than that make more sense to use that in job? And what is the big benefit of Databricks SQL at all? I mean what is the main usage of Databricks SQL?

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

except nice UI and cool features there 😉 for me biggest advantage is that from PowerBI and Qlikview I can query data using SQL and use serverless SQL endpoint.

BorislavBlagoev
Valued Contributor III

That means there is no advantages if I use Databricks SQL in my job

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

I would use just native SQL syntax in job but maybe there is some nice trick...

Thank you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Borislav Blagoev​ - Would you be happy to mark which of @Hubert Dudek​'s answers offered the best resolution as best?

BorislavBlagoev
Valued Contributor III

I can't understand your question

BorislavBlagoev
Valued Contributor III

@Hubert Dudek​ 

Error during OpenSession; Request: TOpenSessionReq(client_protocol=5, username=None, password=None, configuration=None) Error: None Bounded-Retry-Delay: None Attempt: 1/30 Elapsed-Seconds: 1.3954582214355469/900.0
OperationalError: ('', EOFError())

I get the following error when I try to execute the code above. Do you know something about this?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Borislav Blagoev​ - There is a "Select as Best" link underneath each reply. All you need to do, if you choose, is to click on that link for whichever reply best answered your question. The purpose is to help other members find helpful solutions more easily.

I'm attaching a screenshot to help.

&quot;Select as Best&quot; link

BorislavBlagoev
Valued Contributor III

Done!

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.