Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will the database be deleted when the cluster terminates ?

Logan_Data_Inc_
New Contributor II

Hello,

I'm working in Databricks Community Edition. So I will terminate my cluster after my work because anyways it will be terminated after 2 hours. I'm creating a database to store all my transformed data. Will the database be deleted when I terminate the cluster ?

I have tried it and seems like it will delete the database because it doesn't recognize the database name I gave.

Error Message - AnalysisException: Database 'db_name' not found

But I can see my database path in DBFS: dbfs:/user/hive/warehouse/db_name.db.

When I create a new database and try to add data to tables, then there is an error saying that the table already exists and not empty.

Please help me with this problem.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

Problem is that it is community edition so metastore with databases didn't survive.

please try:

CREATE DATABASE IF NOT EXISTS db_name LOCATION 'dbfs:/user/hive/warehouse/db_name.db'

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

Problem is that it is community edition so metastore with databases didn't survive.

please try:

CREATE DATABASE IF NOT EXISTS db_name LOCATION 'dbfs:/user/hive/warehouse/db_name.db'

Thanks for the answer Hubert 😊

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Hubert Dudek​ - Thanks for answering so quickly!!

@Sriram Devineedi​ - If Hubert's answer solved the issue for you, would you be happy to mark his answer as best? That helps others know where to look.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.