cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configure jobs throttling for ephemeral cluster ETLs

RicksDB
Contributor II

Hi,

Is it possible to configure job throttling in order to queue jobs across a workspace after a given number of concurrent execution when using the ephemeral cluster pattern? The reason is mainly for cost control. We prefer reducing performance rather than increasing cost if too many jobs are executed for various reasons.

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @E H​ - Welcome and thank you for asking. My name is Piper, and I'm a moderator for Databricks. Let's see what the other members have to say. If we don't hear anything, we'll swing back to this.

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have a fixed size cluster, this will happen automatically. Just don't turn on autoscaling.

https://docs.databricks.com/clusters/configure.html#cluster-size-and-autoscaling

RicksDB
Contributor II

Thanks for the answer josephk.

However, this solution doesn't work in my case.

If I launch 20 different jobs, I will have 20 ephemeral clusters running at the same time. Hence, if they each run for 5 mins, we will incur a bill of 100 min execution.

The idea would be, for example, to have a maximum configurable execution time for each 30 min. Jobs would be queued afterwards. In my example, I could just take my configured execution time * 48 and it would give me the worst possible case in a single day.

I also tried a scenario using a pool with a maximum set of VMs. However, instead of queuing jobs, additional jobs failed since new VMs couldn't be provisioned.

The objective is to be able to predict cost by calculating the worst case in a single day and ensure that we don't go beyond that. Right now, the only way I can do this is using an interactive cluster (and paying more DBU) instead of a job cluster.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Why not just run all the jobs on the same cluster? That will save you a lot of time not starting up 20 clusters.

RicksDB
Contributor II

That is only possible with an interactive cluster (cost more DBU). At least as far as I know.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, that's correct. There is a new feature in the roadmap to reuse the same cluster which should help/speed things up.

Might still be worth it to do it all on 1 interactive cluster, which again shouldn't be too expensive for a smaller cluster with single node.

RicksDB
Contributor II

Thanks for the help josephk. I will continue to use an interactive cluster for the time being until the release of that new feature. Hopefully, it will allow my use case. Is there visibility on the roadmap for an ETA or more information on it?

Anonymous
Not applicable

The image is from the roadmap that was released in November, so it should be in preview sometime this month if it isn't already. Talk to your CSE about the preview testing.

BilalAslamDbrx
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

@E H​ that feature is in preview! Hit me up at bilal dot aslam at databricks dot com and I will get you enrolled in it.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.