cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL Analytics: Is it possible to configure the default number format

Bilal1
New Contributor III

Hi

When querying an integer value, the default format is '0.0' which results in an integer value 202111, displayed as 202,111. I can resolve the issue by updating the visualisation or using formatnumber in my query, however I would like to set a default number format for all queries.

Is there a configuration parameter that I can set on the SQL endpoint to default the number format ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

miranda_luna_db
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hi @Bilal Haniff​  - While we don't yet allow defining workspace or user level viz prop settings, we are certainly starting to scope what that would look like.

A bit of good news on the pressing issue though - as of the latest update, integers and floats should no longer have commas by default. 😁 https://docs.databricks.com/sql/release-notes/index.html#january-20-2022

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @Bilal Haniff​ - Welcome to the community! Thank you for bringing your question to us. We'll give the community some time to respond before we circle back around to this. Thanks in advance for your patience. 🙂

mortenhaga
Contributor

+1. In the weekly QA/Test meeting where I work, the Data Analystst have given feedback on this; with having to correct for the comma every time they copy values from the SQL Analytics query result UI. I would also be glad to be guided in the direction of how to correct this.

BilalAslamDbrx
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Good feedback, @Bilal Haniff​ . I'll pass this along to the product team.

miranda_luna_db
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hi @Bilal Haniff​  - While we don't yet allow defining workspace or user level viz prop settings, we are certainly starting to scope what that would look like.

A bit of good news on the pressing issue though - as of the latest update, integers and floats should no longer have commas by default. 😁 https://docs.databricks.com/sql/release-notes/index.html#january-20-2022

Thanks @Miranda Luna​  Guess I should've been more patient 🙂

in the SQL Server and Orace database, we have the NLS settings that can always be changed. I think this would be useful feature to also have in Databricks, as it gives us more control on displaying output in the business users desired format.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bilal Haniff​ - Would you be happy to mark whichever answer helped you the most as best? That helps others find solutions more quickly.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.