Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Command prompt won't let me type the Databricks token

frank26364
New Contributor III

Hi, I am trying to set up Databricks CLI using the command prompt on my computer. I downloaded the Python 3.9 app and successfully ran the command

pip install databricks-cli

When I try to set up the Databricks token, I am able to type my Databricks Host, but the command prompt won't let me type the token. I also cannot do ctrl+v.

c:\Users\fboul\AppData\Local\Packages\PythonSoftwareFoundation.Python.3.9_qbz5n2kfra8p0\LocalCache\local-packages\Python39\Scripts>databricks configure --token
Databricks Host (should begin with https://): https://adb-735xxxxxxxxxxxx82.2.azuredatabricks.net/
Token:

I don't know if it's normal, but my Databricks Host is a number instead of a region. In every tutorials that I watched it was always a region.

Do you know how I could be able to type my token in the command prompt?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

frank26364
New Contributor III

Ok, I finally was able to solve this issue. Once I entered

databricks configure --token

I was able to put my host normally (what I was typing was shown on the cmd prompt). But what I would type or paste as the token wasn't shown.

The tricky part is that ctrl+v didn't work BUT doing only right-clic (without a menu to select paste) would paste what I had copied. Nothing was shown on the cmd prompt but the pasting was done correctly.

I am using Python 3.10

Thank you everyone for your help!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

Your access credentials are stored in the file

~/.databrickscfg on Unix, Linux, or macOS, or %USERPROFILE%\.databrickscfg on Windows. Please locate file and just edit it:

[DEFAULT]
host = <workspace-URL>
token = <personal-access-token>

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

yea that changed a while ago, now it is indeed a number like adb.123...2.azuredatabriccks.net,

so no worries.

Not being able to paste in a command prompt I experienced too on some windows installs. Can you copy the token on the clipboard and try right-click instead of ctrl-v?

frank26364
New Contributor III

Ok, I finally was able to solve this issue. Once I entered

databricks configure --token

I was able to put my host normally (what I was typing was shown on the cmd prompt). But what I would type or paste as the token wasn't shown.

The tricky part is that ctrl+v didn't work BUT doing only right-clic (without a menu to select paste) would paste what I had copied. Nothing was shown on the cmd prompt but the pasting was done correctly.

I am using Python 3.10

Thank you everyone for your help!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey there! You're on a roll today! Thanks for letting us know. 🙂

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.