Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Group vs User rights

Mirko
Contributor

I have a small question: How does the combination of group and user rights work? Is it like in azure, that if i have for example databricks sql acces threw a (databricks) group i am member of, but in my personal account databricks sql is not enabled -> databricks sql is enabled for me?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Mirko Ludewig​ 

If you are a member of a group that has databricks SQL access, you will inherit Databricks SQL access entitlement from groups. Provided your databricks account has SQL enabled.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

pavan_kumar
Contributor

@Mirko Ludewig​ 

currently if the "databricks sql" is not enabled in a workspace then you cannot assign the permissions to the users for the "databricks sql access".

If you have situation where "databricks sql access" is give to the users with enabling the "databricks sql" on workspace please share us the images and details i can check it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Mirko Ludewig​ 

If you are a member of a group that has databricks SQL access, you will inherit Databricks SQL access entitlement from groups. Provided your databricks account has SQL enabled.

Mirko
Contributor

@Pratik Bhawsar​ thank you for the answer, i just started to prepare a more precise question. Could you explain why some of the Options in the admin console are greyed out? e.g. i can remove workspace acces from user 3 but not from user 1.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mirko Ludewig​ It is greyed out because the permissions are inherited from groups (possibly admin group in this case) and can not be modified on this page.

Also if admin access is provided, all other ticks are greyed out since you can’t remove any other access while still giving admin access.

Mirko
Contributor

that makes perfectly sense. Thank you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mirko Ludewig​ - Good morning (or evening depending on where you hail), would you be happy to mark whichever answer resolved the problem for you as best? That helps other members find the solutions more quickly. 🙂

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.