Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to access root mountPoint without "Access Denied"?

Dusko
New Contributor III

Hi, I’m trying to read file from S3 root bucket. I can ls all the files but I can’t read it because of access denied. When I mount the same S3 root bucket under some other mountPoint, I can touch and read all the files. I also see that this new mountPoint have an empty encryptionType while others (including root) have sse-s3.

Maybe this could be the issue (we are trying access data through instance profiles)? My goal is to make root mountPoint "/" accessible because of all our hardcoded paths in dependencies and modules. We already checked all IAM roles, instance_profiles, bucket policies but without any luck.

Additional info:

• Files I want to read are uploaded manually through AWS console
  • When I import .zip file as .whl library and %sh unzip that file I can read this file without any problem

Is there something we are missing? Thank you for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Dušan Vystrcil​ , Please go through the doc for your question.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Dušan Vystrcil​. My name is Piper, and I'm one of the moderators here in the community. Thanks for your question and it's great to meet you. 🙂

We will give the community a chance to respond and then we will come back around if we need to.

Atanu
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

As databricks has the ownership of rootbucket I think manually upload from console will not work.For your second point - ( import .zip file as .whl library and %sh unzip ) I hope you are doing this through notebook so it will not giving you any issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dušan Vystrcil​ - Checking in. Does Atanu's answer help you?

Dusko
New Contributor III

Hi @Atanu Sarkar​ , @Piper Wilson​ ,

thanks for the replies. Well I don't understand the fact about ownership. I believe that rootbucket is still under my ownership (I created it and I could upload/delete any files through browser without any problem). I can even list those files from notebook but can't read them.

I discovered that if I upload those files through databricks cli, I could read them. So maybe you're right about the "ownership" but I can't find any docs regarding this, so I could understand it. Do we have anything?

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Dušan Vystrcil​ , Please go through the doc for your question.

Hi @Dušan Vystrcil​ ,

Just a friendly follow-up. Did you have time to check the docs @Kaniz Fatma​ shared? did it help to resolve your issue or not? please let us know.

Dusko
New Contributor III

Yeah Jose, that was exactly I was looking for! Thanks @Kaniz Fatma​ 

You're welcome @Dušan Vystrcil​ . Happy to help you. Would you like to mark it as the best answer which would turn out to helpful for the entire community?

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.