Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Successfully installed Maven:Coordinates:com.crealytics:spark-excel_2.12:3.2.0_0.16.0 on Azure DBX 9.1 LTS runtime but getting error for missing dependency: org.apache.commons.io.IOUtils.byteArray(I)

dataslicer
Contributor

I am using Azure DBX 9.1 LTS and successfully installed the following library on the cluster using Maven coordinates:

com.crealytics:spark-excel_2.12:3.2.0_0.16.0

When I executed the following line:

excelSDF = spark.read.format("excel").option("dataAddress", "'Sheet1'!A1:C4").option("header", "true").option("treatEmptyValuesAsNulls", "true").option("inferSchema", "true").load(excel_sample)

I get the following exception thrown:

Py4JJavaError: An error occurred while calling o438.load.
: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.apache.commons.io.IOUtils.byteArray(I)[B
	at org.apache.commons.io.output.AbstractByteArrayOutputStream.needNewBuffer(AbstractByteArrayOutputStream.java:104)
	at org.apache.commons.io.output.UnsynchronizedByteArrayOutputStream.<init>(UnsynchronizedByteArrayOutputStream.java:51)
	at shadeio.poi.util.IOUtils.peekFirstNBytes(IOUtils.java:110)
	at shadeio.poi.poifs.filesystem.FileMagic.valueOf(FileMagic.java:209)
	at shadeio.poi.ss.usermodel.WorkbookFactory.create(WorkbookFactory.java:206)
	at shadeio.poi.ss.usermodel.WorkbookFactory.create(WorkbookFactory.java:172)
	at com.crealytics.spark.v2.excel.ExcelHelper.getWorkbook(ExcelHelper.scala:107)
	at com.crealytics.spark.v2.excel.ExcelHelper.getRows(ExcelHelper.scala:122)
	at com.crealytics.spark.v2.excel.ExcelTable.infer(ExcelTable.scala:72)
	at com.crealytics.spark.v2.excel.ExcelTable.inferSchema(ExcelTable.scala:43)
	at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.datasources.v2.FileTable.$anonfun$dataSchema$4(FileTable.scala:69)
	at scala.Option.orElse(Option.scala:447)
	at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.datasources.v2.FileTable.dataSchema$lzycompute(FileTable.scala:69)
	at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.datasources.v2.FileTable.dataSchema(FileTable.scala:63)
	at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.datasources.v2.FileTable.schema$lzycompute(FileTable.scala:82)
	at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.datasources.v2.FileTable.schema(FileTable.scala:80)
	at com.crealytics.spark.v2.excel.ExcelDataSource.inferSchema(ExcelDataSource.scala:85)
	at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.datasources.v2.DataSourceV2Utils$.getTableFromProvider(DataSourceV2Utils.scala:81)
	at org.apache.spark.sql.DataFrameReader.$anonfun$load$1(DataFrameReader.scala:388)
	at scala.Option.map(Option.scala:230)
	at org.apache.spark.sql.DataFrameReader.load(DataFrameReader.scala:367)
	at org.apache.spark.sql.DataFrameReader.load(DataFrameReader.scala:287)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
	at py4j.reflection.MethodInvoker.invoke(MethodInvoker.java:244)
	at py4j.reflection.ReflectionEngine.invoke(ReflectionEngine.java:380)
	at py4j.Gateway.invoke(Gateway.java:295)
	at py4j.commands.AbstractCommand.invokeMethod(AbstractCommand.java:132)
	at py4j.commands.CallCommand.execute(CallCommand.java:79)
	at py4j.GatewayConnection.run(GatewayConnection.java:251)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

When I tried to install the following dependency library using Azure Databricks Cluster Libraries web UI using the following Maven coordinates, it failed.

org.apache.commons:commons-io:2.11.0

Questions:

1. Is there a safe guard that Databricks is preventing the installation of this package?
  2. How can users of the `spark-excel` library address this dependency on Databricks cluster?

Thanks.

Update 01:

Update 02:

• Another attempt tried as follows:
  • After the spark cluster has been restarted with the additional libraries (installed successfully), new error popped up complaining that org/apache/spark/sql/sources/v2/ReadSupport is not in commons-io 2.11 jar.
Py4JJavaError: An error occurred while calling o386.load.
: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/spark/sql/sources/v2/ReadSupport
  •  
    •  The missing class seems to be a class packaged in spark-sql jar.
    • There seems to be some dependency weirdness with the DataSourceV2 classes.
    • The dependency nightmare seems be nested and never ending.
    • Hopefully the experts can weigh in on this.

Update 03:

• Performed a quick search regarding DataSourceV2 and this is an API that only exists in the Spark 2.x branch. Databricks 9.1 LTS is running Spark 3.1.2. With this limited knowledge, I believe the spark-excel library is some how referring to some stale / deprecated Spark 2.x API.
    • Does anyone know how to determine which custom jar maybe still calling this old DataSourceV2 API?
      • Once that offending jar is isolated, how to overwrite it so the correct Spark API?
      • Again, not exactly 80% confident this is the root cause. Just sharing the existing hypothesis to see if some progress can be made here.

Update 04:

• I have tried several different versions of the libraries and they all throw some sort of exceptions in different call stacks
    • com.crealytics:spark-excel_2.12:3.1.2_0.16.0
      • java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.apache.commons.io.IOUtils.byteArray(I)[B
    • com.crealytics:spark-excel_2.12:3.1.2_0.15.2
      • java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.apache.commons.io.IOUtils.byteArray(I)[B
    • com.crealytics:spark-excel_2.12:0.14.0
      • Does not throw any exception when completing this 1 line command
excelSDF = spark.read.format("excel").option("dataAddress", "'Sheet1'!A1:C4").option("header", "true").option("treatEmptyValuesAsNulls", "true").option("inferSchema", "true").load(excel_sample)
  • However, when I executed the following line of code in the next Cmd cell,
display(excelSDF)
  • I get a different exception:
NoSuchMethodError: org.apache.spark.sql.catalyst.util.FailureSafeParser.<init>(Lscala/Function1;Lorg/apache/spark/sql/catalyst/util/ParseMode;Lorg/apache/spark/sql/types/StructType;Ljava/lang/String;)V
  •  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Jim Huang​ , Please try installing

com.crealytics:spark-excel_2.12:0.14.0

instead of

It will work. Please let me know if that helped. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Jim Huang​ ! My name is Kaniz, and I'm the technical moderator here. Great to meet you, and thanks for your question! Let's see if your peers in the community have an answer to your question first. Or else I will get back to you soon. Thanks.

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Jim Huang​ , Please try installing

com.crealytics:spark-excel_2.12:0.14.0

instead of

It will work. Please let me know if that helped. 

Using the older library as suggested worked in DBR 10.4 LTS. Thank you.

On a separate note, my curiosity in understanding the changes in the underlying datasource v2 API is ongoing. 😀

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Cool!

Atanu
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

This is the library dependency. You need to exclude the dependency to get it working. @Jim Huang​ 

Thank you for providing another option to address this issue.

I have follow up questions:

1. What should be the dependency to be excluded in this situation?
  2. How to exclude such dependency in Databricks runtime environment?
    1. Is there a reference you can provide regarding this approach?

Thanks!

RamRaju
New Contributor II

Hi @dataslicer  were you able to solve this issue?

I am using 9.1 lts databricks version with Spark 3.1.2 and scala 2.12. I have installed com.crealytics:spark-excel-2.12.17-3.1.2_2.12:3.1.2_0.18.1.  It was working fine but now facing same exception as you. Could you please help..

Thank you.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.