Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Error writing a partitioned Delta Table from a multitasking job in azure databricks

danielveraec
New Contributor III

I have a notebook that writes a delta table with a statement similar to the following:

match = "current.country = updates.country and current.process_date = updates.process_date"
deltaTable = DeltaTable.forPath(spark, silver_path)
deltaTable.alias("current")\
.merge(
    data.alias("updates"),
    match) \
  .whenMatchedUpdate(
      set = update_set,
      condition = condition) \
  .whenNotMatchedInsert(values = values_set)\
  .execute()

The multitask job has two tasks that are executed in parallel. 

eb3trWhen executing the job the following error is displayed:

ConcurrentAppendException: Files were added to partition [country=Panamรก, process_date=2022-01-01 00:00:00] by a concurrent update. Please try the operation again.

In each task I send different countries (Panama, Ecuador) and the same date as a parameter, so when executing only the information corresponding to the country sent should be written. This delta table is partitioned by the country and process_date fields. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? How should I specify the partition to be affected when using the "merge" statement?

I appreciate if you can clarify how I should work with the partitions in these cases, since this is new to me.

Update: I made an adjustment in the condition to specify the country and process date according to what is indicated here (ConcurrentAppendException). Now I get the following error message:

ConcurrentAppendException: Files were added to the root of the table by a concurrent update. Please try the operation again.

I can't think what could cause the error. Keep investigating.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

danielveraec
New Contributor III

Initially, the affected table only had a date field as partition. So I partitioned it with country and date fields. This new partition created the country and date directories however the old directories of the date partition remained and were not deleted.

Apparently these directories were causing the conflict when trying to read them concurrently. I created a new delta on another path with the correct partitions and then replaced it on the original path. This allowed old partition directories to be removed.

The only consequence of performing these actions was that I lost the change history of the table (time travel).

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

RKNutalapati
Valued Contributor

I think we have to break down the DML operations into multiple tasks like below(screen shot) to make it work for parallel operations on a delta table{assuming the table is partitioned].

imagelet me know if this works

danielveraec
New Contributor III

Initially, the affected table only had a date field as partition. So I partitioned it with country and date fields. This new partition created the country and date directories however the old directories of the date partition remained and were not deleted.

Apparently these directories were causing the conflict when trying to read them concurrently. I created a new delta on another path with the correct partitions and then replaced it on the original path. This allowed old partition directories to be removed.

The only consequence of performing these actions was that I lost the change history of the table (time travel).

Hi @Daniel Veraโ€‹ , Thanks for the details. I am not sure about your data, but I hope adding multiple columns in partition does not ended up with small files.

Lets see if databricks provides an option to apply explicit lock on tables for parallel operations.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.