Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to start SQL End point in DATABRICKS SQL

Infosys_128139
New Contributor III

Hello All, I am trying to use Databricks SQL but somehow the SQL end point is not getting started. It is in starting state for long time and then session is getting expired.

Please note , the default SQL End point also not getting started. I am using Azure as a backend for Databricks and I have enough quota to create a sql end point. Any support will be highly appreciated.

Error Summary :Cluster is taking longer than 43 minutes to start up (cluster-id xxxx-***-***).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Bilal Aslam​ Sorry for the late response. Looks like that Issue was related to quota  which Microsoft provide. I connected with Microsoft Azure support and they confirmed me below

• "Discussed why the sql endpoint was not getting started and the type of subscription you are using is free I,e "SubscriptionType:Free"
  • So when we use the subscription type as free basically we will only be allowed to provision single node cluster. So due to this limitation sql endpoint was not starting so you can upgrade your subscription type.

"

But I will suggest Databricks give some error log like some SubscriptionType issue so that User can understand quickly.

Again Thank you for the support.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Chris_Grabiel
New Contributor III

This is nearly ALWAYS an Azure VM supply issue.

We've seen in multiple times in the past 18-24 months. Ours (also in Azure East region) appear to all be fine at the moment. Do you know what region you're in/what VM series you're relying on? You likely need to reach out to Microsoft support via a support ticket/check for all related service health alerts in the Azure portal.

I've been filling warehouses and lakes for almost 15 years, and as such I've held all types of roles along my data engineering "journey." Have a question? Just ask!

Infosys_128139
New Contributor III

Hello Chris, Thank you for the response. I am using Azure EAST US region but I am not sure about VM series though.

Could you please let me know which region working fine. So that I can create one more resource and try the same.

Infosys_128139
New Contributor III

Hello Chris,

One more point do we really need a VM for Azure DATABRICKS SQL? I guess only SQL End point enough to run the query. Please correct me.

Atanu
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

when you launch a cluster . all worker and driver underneath will actually launch VMs associated your subscription. So, yes, VMs are needed

Infosys_128139
New Contributor III

Thanks Atanu. Yes I do have Standard EDSv4 Family vCPUs VM and could see I have 500 Quota but still the SQL End point is not getting started.

BilalAslamDbrx
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Hi there, sorry about this! As Chris mentioned, this is indeed almost always a VM supply issue but let's get to the bottom of this.

• Are you still seeing this error?
  • When you hover over the error tooltip, what error do you see?
  • Can you email me your workspace ID please at bilal dot aslam at databricks dot com

BilalAslamDbrx
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

@AMZ DUD​ did you get this working? With a quota of 500, 43 mins is a long time for a cluster to launch. Perhaps a something in the account isn’t set up correctly. Can you please email me your workspace ID please at bilal dot aslam at databricks dot com so I can investigate?

Hi @Bilal Aslam​ Sorry for the late response. Looks like that Issue was related to quota  which Microsoft provide. I connected with Microsoft Azure support and they confirmed me below

• "Discussed why the sql endpoint was not getting started and the type of subscription you are using is free I,e "SubscriptionType:Free"
  • So when we use the subscription type as free basically we will only be allowed to provision single node cluster. So due to this limitation sql endpoint was not starting so you can upgrade your subscription type.

"

But I will suggest Databricks give some error log like some SubscriptionType issue so that User can understand quickly.

Again Thank you for the support.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.