Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi Experts I want to know the difference between connecting any BI Tool to Spark SQL and Databricks SQL end point?

BasavarajAngadi
Contributor

Its all about spinning the spark cluster and both spark Sql api and databricks does the same operation what difference does it make to BI tools ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

BilalAslamDbrx
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Hi @Basavaraj Angadi​ ! There's a huge difference between Spark SQL and Databricks SQL endpoints. To name a few:

• Queries are handled by an elastic load-balancer which spins up compute behind the scenes as your query load goes up or down. This load-balancer also does smart things with workload management (e.g. accelerating short queries) and caching (e.g. saving you from running a query if results are already available).
  • Serverless execution. This is in preview. Unlike traditional Spark clusters, SQL endpoints can spin up compute to handle workloads much faster.
  • Brand new Photon execution engine. SQL endpoints use a native C++ based execution engine which is much, much faster than the JVM-based execution engine in Spark. The best part is you don't have to change anything, your queries will just work.
  • Optimized BI stack. Brand new drivers for BI and the use of cloud storage for query result retrieval mean that your BI results come back to users way faster.

In short, I would definitely recommend using SQL endpoints. They're just better for BI in every possible way!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, @Basavaraj Angadi​ - My name is Piper, and I'm a moderator for Databricks. Thank you for coming to the community with your question. Let's give it a while for the community to respond. We'll circle back to this if we need to.

BasavarajAngadi
Contributor

@Piper Wilson​  Thanks a lot.........Looking forward for the answers because it helps us to make a swtich from Spark SQL api to Databricks when connecting to BI tool.

BilalAslamDbrx
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Hi @Basavaraj Angadi​ ! There's a huge difference between Spark SQL and Databricks SQL endpoints. To name a few:

• Queries are handled by an elastic load-balancer which spins up compute behind the scenes as your query load goes up or down. This load-balancer also does smart things with workload management (e.g. accelerating short queries) and caching (e.g. saving you from running a query if results are already available).
  • Serverless execution. This is in preview. Unlike traditional Spark clusters, SQL endpoints can spin up compute to handle workloads much faster.
  • Brand new Photon execution engine. SQL endpoints use a native C++ based execution engine which is much, much faster than the JVM-based execution engine in Spark. The best part is you don't have to change anything, your queries will just work.
  • Optimized BI stack. Brand new drivers for BI and the use of cloud storage for query result retrieval mean that your BI results come back to users way faster.

In short, I would definitely recommend using SQL endpoints. They're just better for BI in every possible way!

AmanSehgal
Honored Contributor III

Hey Bilal,

(1) and (3) are available in databricks sql as well, right?

Results are cached on cluster and you can now spin up a photon cluster as well in high concurrency mode.

In my opinion, SQL endpoints are fast but expensive as compared to datarbricks cluster (in terms of DBU).

BilalAslamDbrx
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

@Aman Sehgal​ the elastic load balancer is only available in SQL endpoints.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @Bilal Aslam​ and @Aman Sehgal​ for jumping in!

@Basavaraj Angadi​ ​ I want to make sure you got your question(s) answered! Will you let us know? Don't forget, you can select any reply as the "best answer" ! 😊

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.