Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do compute resources get removed after not being used for x number of days?

Chris_Shehu
Valued Contributor III

Currently we're getting reports of compute resources disappearing from one of our lesser used databricks platforms. I just turned on logging to see if we can find something but I'm wondering if a compute gets removed if it hasn't been used after so long?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Chris_Shehu
Valued Contributor III

I found it! Or I should say someone else did on the Slack channel. Adding it here to close the loop.

Source: Manage clusters - Azure Databricks | Microsoft Docs

"30 days after a cluster is terminated it is permanently deleted."

To work around this an admin can pin the cluster from the cluster list so that it will never auto delete.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, @Christopher Shehu​! It's great to see you again. Let's see what the community has to say. 🙂

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

Can you give a little more detail?

Because typically how databricks works is to deploy temporary VMs in a resource group. When their job is done they are removed.

The cluster definition in databricks however remains.

So what exactly do you mean by 'compute resources'? The VMs or the cluster definition?

Chris_Shehu
Valued Contributor III

The cluster definitions are being removed after not being accessed for an extended time. I wouldn't expect this behavior. Like you said the VM's are temporary but not the definitions.

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

Hm, now that you mention it:

I had the same observation a few weeks ago. But I assumed it was one of my colleagues who removed them by accident. All 'old' clusters were gone.

Chris_Shehu
Valued Contributor III

Thanks Werners! Glad it's not just me. Hopefully we can get an answer from Databricks.

Chris_Shehu
Valued Contributor III

I found it! Or I should say someone else did on the Slack channel. Adding it here to close the loop.

Source: Manage clusters - Azure Databricks | Microsoft Docs

"30 days after a cluster is terminated it is permanently deleted."

To work around this an admin can pin the cluster from the cluster list so that it will never auto delete.

Anonymous
Not applicable

FANTASTIC! Thank you for sharing the solution. 🙂

Hanna0805050
New Contributor II

Pest Control Software to Grow Your Business Choosing the best pest control software for your business can have a powerful impact on your productivity. Fieldwork can help your workforce repel downtime, attract clients, get organized and get everything into one trusted software platform.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.