Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RserveException: eval failed

GC-James
Contributor II

Sometimes when I am running R code in a Databricks notebook I am given this error. The cell I am running fails, and my whole R 'session' seems to get screwed up. For example my stored variables disappear, and I have to re-load my packages etc. It is difficult to give a reproducible example because the behaviour is inconsistent. I can run the same code twice, one time it is fine, the next it is not. Below I give a picture of it happening in my notebook, and also the driver logs for the time it occurred. Grateful if someone has an idea as to what is causing this? Thanks.

rserve_error 

12 REPLIES 12

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @James Smith​ ! Great to meet you, and thanks for your question! Let's see if your peers in the community have an answer to your question first. Or else I will get back to you soon. Thanks.

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @James Smith​ , Does this issue remain the same in RStudio or is this error specific to only the Databricks Notebook?

Atiq
New Contributor II

Hey @Kaniz Fatma​ 

We are also experiencing the same problem, and could not find a solution online. Could you kindly help us in this matter?

GC-James
Contributor II

@Atiquzzaman Ankur​  -- I think that this issue might be memory related. I think perhaps it happens when R tries to use more memory than is available to the Databricks cluster. Suggest monitoring the Ganglia UI just before you run a process that causes the crash. See if it 'tops out' the memory.

@Kaniz Fatma​  -- I'm not sure if the issue persists in RStudio or not. It would take quite some effort to port my code out of databricks and test.

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @James Smith​ , Were you able to resolve your problem? Do you still need help?

Atiq
New Contributor II

@James Smith​ Thank you for the suggestion :). I will try that out.

@Kaniz Fatma​  And from our end, the script works perfectly fine on RStudio. Only getting the issue in Databricks.

Well I have been limiting the memory usage of my code to 'solve' the problem so far. If it was the problem at all. I'm not sure.

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @James Smith​ , Just a friendly follow-up. Do you still need help, or do the above responses help you find the solution? Please let us know.

Hello @Kaniz Fatma​  . None of the above replies have given a solution.

data_warrior
New Contributor III

Hello all @James Smith​ @Atiquzzaman Ankur​  @Kaniz Fatma​ ,

I am facing the exact same issue and do not know how to solve it. I tried freeing up some memory, But the problem persists. Please look at some of my screenshots.

It would be great if one of you could point me in the correct direction. I checked my memory consumption on driver node and I observed that it is maxing out for a short while. But I don't think this is the cause for failure as I have observed this multiple times before and the code still ran successfully without any error.

Best regards,

Akshay

data_warrior
New Contributor III

The error file is attached here.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.