Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

concat_ws() throws AnalysisException when too many columns are supplied

gzenz
New Contributor II

Hi,

i'm using concat_ws in scala to calculate a checksum for the dataframe, i.e.:

df.withColumn("CHECKSUM", sha2(functions.concat_ws("", dataframe.columns.map(col): _*), 512))

I have one example here with just 24 columns that already throws the following exception: org.apache.spark.sql.AnalysisException: cannot resolve 'concat_ws('', <list of the columns)

Any ideas what's happening? I assume the list get's too long (char wise), but I have no idea how to make this work.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III
  • at least one of column names can have some strange char, whitespace or something,
  • or at least one of column type is not compatible (for example StructType)
  • you can separate your code to two or more steps. First generate list of columns as some variable, than create column to concatenate than new column with sha that column. It is easier to debug and also more efficient for spark as it use lazy evolution and logical/physical plans and adaptive query execution.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III
  • at least one of column names can have some strange char, whitespace or something,
  • or at least one of column type is not compatible (for example StructType)
  • you can separate your code to two or more steps. First generate list of columns as some variable, than create column to concatenate than new column with sha that column. It is easier to debug and also more efficient for spark as it use lazy evolution and logical/physical plans and adaptive query execution.
Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.