Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am new to Databricks SQL and want to create a variable which can hold calculations either from static values or from select queries similar to SQL Server. Is there a way to do so?

Sudeshna
New Contributor III

I was trying to create a variable and i got the following error -

command -

SET a = 5;

Error -

Error running query

Configuration a is not available.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

BilalAslamDbrx
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

@Sudeshna Bhakat​ what @Joseph Kambourakis​ described works on clusters but is restricted on Databricks SQL endpoints i.e. only a limited number of SET commands are allowed. I suggest you explore the curly-braces (e.g. {{ my_variable }}) in Databricks SQL.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

User16764241763
Honored Contributor

Hello @Sudeshna Bhakat​ 

Thank you for posting on Databricks Community Forum

Could you please use Dashboard filters

https://docs.databricks.com/sql/user/queries/query-filters.html

Query

SELECT l_linenumber AS linenumber, COUNT(*) AS cnt FROM lineitem WHERE l_linenumber = {{var}}

GROUP BY l_linenumber

Query editor looks like below

When you add this query to the dashboard, the var looks like below

Dashboard

Dashboard 

Please let us know if this works for you.

I have filed a feature request internally to support this.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is an example of the syntax:

set a.variablename = value

Then to use it you need to reference it with ${a.variablename}. See the screenshot

BilalAslamDbrx
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

@Sudeshna Bhakat​ what @Joseph Kambourakis​ described works on clusters but is restricted on Databricks SQL endpoints i.e. only a limited number of SET commands are allowed. I suggest you explore the curly-braces (e.g. {{ my_variable }}) in Databricks SQL.

Using curly braces means it will create parameters. but i don't need a parameter. There is no way other than creating a parameter?

BilalAslamDbrx
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

No, not yet. For now, you can only use SET commands to set a limited number of configuration options.

Sudeshna
New Contributor III

Got your point. Thank you very much for the help

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Sudeshna Bhakat​ , It Looks like @Bilal Aslam​ ​ 's answer helped you get the correct answer. Would you like to mark it as the best answer as it would help the entire community in the hereafter? Thanks for such a great question.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.