Constantine
Contributor III

Let's say I create a table like

CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS new_db.data_table (
  key	STRING,
  value	STRING,
  last_updated_time	TIMESTAMP
) USING DELTA LOCATION 's3://......';

Now when I insert into this table I insert data which has say 20 columns and do merge schema while insertion.

.option("mergeSchema", "true")

So when I display the data it shows me all 20 columns, but now when I look at the table schema through the data tab it still shows only the initial 3 rows i.e. the catalog is not updated.

Wanted to understand how does this work?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

Are you saving to delta file location?

If you append to location, it will not update the hive metastore table as it only updates underlying files. You can use saveAsTable, or you need to refresh the metastore table using the SQL command:

REFRESH TABLE tableName;

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

Are you saving to delta file location?

If you append to location, it will not update the hive metastore table as it only updates underlying files. You can use saveAsTable, or you need to refresh the metastore table using the SQL command:

REFRESH TABLE tableName;

timdriscoll22
New Contributor II

I tried running "REFRESH TABLE tablename;" but I still do not see the added columns in the data explorer columns, while I do see the added columns in the sample data 

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.