Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to efficiently process a 50Gb JSON file and store it in Delta?

raduq
Contributor

Hi, I'm a fairly new user and I am using Azure Databricks to process a ~50Gb JSON file containing real estate data. I uploaded the JSON file to Azure Data Lake Gen2 storage and read the JSON file into a dataframe.

df = spark.read.option('multiline', 'true').json('dbfs:/mnt/data/delta/bronze/BBR_Actual_Totals.json')

The schema for the JSON file is the following, but because there are many attributes in each nested JSON structure, I only added the name of the first attribute and the extra number of attributes in each nested JSON.

root
 |-- BBRSagList: array (nullable = true)
 |    |-- element: struct (containsNull = true)
 |    |    |-- forretningshændelse: string (nullable = true)
 |    |    |-- +34 more attributes
 |-- BygningEjendomsrelationList: array (nullable = true)
 |    |    |-- bygning: string (nullable = true)
 |    |    |-- +14 more attributes
 |-- BygningList: array (nullable = true)
 |    |    |-- byg007Bygningsnummer: long (nullable = true)
 |    |    |-- +89 more attributes
 |-- EjendomsrelationList: array (nullable = true)
 |    |    |-- bfeNummer: long (nullable = true)
 |    |    |-- +22 more attributes
 |-- EnhedEjendomsrelationList: array (nullable = true)
 |    |    |-- ejerlejlighed: string (nullable = true)
 |-- EnhedList: array (nullable = true)
 |    |    |-- adresseIdentificerer: string (nullable = true)
 |    |    |-- +62 more attributes
 |-- EtageList: array (nullable = true)
 |    |    |-- +22 more attributes
 |-- FordelingAfFordelingsarealList: array (nullable = true)
 |    |    |-- beboelsesArealFordeltTilEnhed: long (nullable = true)
 |    |    |-- +16 more attributes
 |-- FordelingsarealList: array (nullable = true)
 |    |    |-- +19 more attributes
 |-- GrundJordstykkeList: array (nullable = true)
 |    |    |-- forretningshændelse: string (nullable = true)
 |-- GrundList: array (nullable = true)
 |    |    |-- bestemtFastEjendom: string (nullable = true)
 |    |    |-- +27 more attributes
 |-- OpgangList: array (nullable = true)
 |    |    |-- adgangFraHusnummer: string (nullable = true)
 |    |    |-- +17 more attributes
 |-- SagsniveauList: array (nullable = true)
 |    |    |-- byggesag: string (nullable = true)
 |    |    |-- +27 more attributes
 |-- TekniskAnlægList: array (nullable = true)
 |    |    |-- +65 more attributes

After reading the JSON in a single dataframe, I proceeded to select each top level key of the JSON and run explode() on it to transform the array structure into rows. For example, one of the shorter code snippets is:

df_BEList = (
    df.select(explode("BygningEjendomsrelationList"))
    .withColumn("monotonically_increasing_id", monotonically_increasing_id())
    .select(
        'monotonically_increasing_id',
        'col.bygning',
        'col.bygningPåFremmedGrund',
        'col.forretningshændelse',
        'col.forretningsområde',
        'col.forretningsproces',
        'col.id_lokalId',
        'col.id_namespace',
        'col.kommunekode',
        'col.registreringFra',
        'col.registreringTil',
        'col.registreringsaktør',
        'col.status',
        'col.virkningFra',
        'col.virkningTil',
        'col.virkningsaktør'
    )
)

I then try to save each of these dataframes into a delta table to later query them.

df_BEList.write.format('delta').mode('overwrite').save('/mnt/data/silver/BEList')
df_BEList.write.format('delta').saveAsTable('default.BEList')

However, I am facing a problem when trying to generate a dataframe and run explode() on some of the keys+values of the JSON.

Specifically, on the BygningList (which has 90 attributes) and EnhedList (which has 63 attributes).

I have been getting different errors throughout my development. Starting with "java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Cannot grow BufferHolder by size 768 because the size after growing exceeds size limitation 2147483632", which I seem to have gotten past by increasing the executor memory to 6GiB.

Now, most of my executions encounter a "java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded" or "Reason: Executor heartbeat timed out after 126314 ms" after running the save to delta command, after about 1.4h of execution.

I have tried different strategies, increasing cluster size, increasing worker memory and number of cores. My current cluster configuration is:

imageI'm not exactly sure what is my bottleneck or what I'm doing wrong. My understanding would be that a 64Gb worker node would be enough to process the ~50Gb of JSON. Even so, my impression is that at one point, because I am reading and exploding only one "part" of the JSON, the actual data read is about 28Gb, which I think corresponds to this single KEY and its values from the JSON file.

The jobs details panel shows that the read operations seems to have worked, but the write fails, for a reason I can't understand at this point.

imageGoing a bit deepner into the "execute at DeltaInvariantChckerExec.scala" (the 2nd job in the bottom table, which represents Failed Jobs), I can see more details about how executors are added and removed throughout time.

In the end, this fails and the Failure reason is: "Job aborted due to stage failure: Task 0 in stage 2.0 failed 4 times, most recent failure: Lost task 0.3 in stage 2.0 (TID 5) (10.139.64.5 executor 3): ExecutorLostFailure (executor 3 exited caused by one of the running tasks) Reason: Executor heartbeat timed out after 126314 ms".

I'm a bit stuck at this point and I don't know what to try. Any advice on what I should change to my code or cluster or the way I approach the problem will be very much appreciated!

13 REPLIES 13

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

@Radu Gheorghiu​ , Just save df = spark.read.option('multiline', 'true').json('dbfs:/mnt/data/delta/bronze/BBR_Actual_Totals.json').format("delta").save("/mnt/.../delta/" ) immediattly to delta without any processing (so create bronze delta layer).

All processing is done in the next step/notebook.

• I think you will need to have a lot of small partitions. Remember that exploding makes partition grow two times at least.
  • In Spark, UI looks for data skews and spills also. So skews shouldn't be the problem here but better check.
  • When you save to bronze delta, you can salt some additional columns with values from 1 to 512. So you will have 512delta partitions (folders/files) with the same part of your JSON (similar size). I would go with a number multiplied by the number of executors cores so, for example, 32 cores so 512 partitions/folders(files).
  • The driver could be a bit bigger than the executors
  • when you load that bronze delta to silver, also control how many spark partitions you have (it different partitions, but number 512 could be good as well, the partition should be around 100 MB).

I love to process big data sets 🙂 so let me know how it goes. There are some other solutions as well so no worry spark will handle it 🙂

@Hubert Dudek​ , I have also tried your suggested first step, sometime after posting the original question. Unfortunately, that doesn't work either, which confuses me, since I expected it to work. I did think to write it to delta to benefit from the improvements that come with it.

df = spark.read.option('multiline', 'true').json('dbfs:/mnt/data/delta/bronze/BBR_Actual_Totals.json')
df.write.format('delta').mode('overwrite').save('/mnt/data/delta/silver/dev/all_json_data')

However, I'm getting some strange errors. I have attached the stacktrace as a .txt file, because it's too large for the body of the message. I'll just post a short starting snippet below. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Py4JJavaError                             Traceback (most recent call last)
<command-467748691415734> in <module>
----> 1 df.write.format('delta').mode('overwrite').save('/mnt/data/delta/silver/dev/all_json_data')

/databricks/spark/python/pyspark/sql/readwriter.py in save(self, path, format, mode, partitionBy, **options)
    738             self._jwrite.save()
    739         else:
--> 740             self._jwrite.save(path)
    742     @since(1.4)

/databricks/spark/python/lib/py4j-0.10.9.1-src.zip/py4j/java_gateway.py in __call__(self, *args)
   1303         answer = self.gateway_client.send_command(command)
-> 1304         return_value = get_return_value(
   1305             answer, self.gateway_client, self.target_id, self.name)

/databricks/spark/python/pyspark/sql/utils.py in deco(*a, **kw)
    115     def deco(*a, **kw):
    116         try:
--> 117             return f(*a, **kw)
    118         except py4j.protocol.Py4JJavaError as e:
    119             converted = convert_exception(e.java_exception)

/databricks/spark/python/lib/py4j-0.10.9.1-src.zip/py4j/protocol.py in get_return_value(answer, gateway_client, target_id, name)
    324             value = OUTPUT_CONVERTER[type](answer[2:], gateway_client)
    325             if answer[1] == REFERENCE_TYPE:
--> 326                 raise Py4JJavaError(
    327                     "An error occurred while calling {0}{1}{2}.\n".
    328                     format(target_id, ".", name), value)

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

@Radu Gheorghiu​ ,

• You could also try to prepare a sample from your JSON like 1 MB and check is it processed correctly. It will be easier to debug.
  • some ideas:
  • please add .option("badRecordsPath", "/tmp/badRecordsPath") and/or mode PERMISSIVE
  • I know it is pretty complex, but it could be good to define read schema to avoid second reading.
  • if you have a single JSON object per line, you could read it as a text file with ( read.textFile), do partitioning, etc., and then use JSON functions to process data

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Radu Gheorghiu​ , Would you like to tell us if @Hubert Dudek​ 's suggestions helped you?

Hi Kaniz, I'm actually trying them right now. I have recently found a schema definition for my large JSON and I'm building it in Pyspark right now. I will most likely post an update to his feedback in a few hours.

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Radu Gheorghiu​ , Awesome. Please let us know once you have tried it.

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Radu Gheorghiu​ , Just a friendly follow-up. Do you still need help, or @Hubert Dudek (Customer)​ 's response help you to find the solution? Please let us know.

rdobbss
New Contributor II

@Radu Gheorghiu​ I am in same boat as you. Mine is multiline json file and reading as text and partitioning is not an option. @Hubert Dudek​ what should be the solution in this case?

@Ravi Dobariya​ / @Radu Gheorghiu​ : Did you guys get the solution, I am also getting the same issue.

Sameer_876675
New Contributor III

Hi @Radu Gheorghiu​,

I have come across the same issue. What was your approach to this to be succeeded?

jefft
New Contributor III

HI Everyone,

I wanted to check back and see if people had a recommended approach to get past the described performance issues when working with very large JSON data and loading into Delta.

Renzer
New Contributor II

The spark connector is super slow. I found loading json into Azure cosmos dB then writing queries to get sections of data out was 25x times faster because cosmos dB indexes the json. You can stream read data from cosmosdb. You can find python code snippets in cosmosdb documentation from Microsoft

jefft
New Contributor III

Hi Renzer,

Thanks for the suggestion.  We're actually in AWS and ingesting data from DocumentDB.  Thanks to you and the community for any other suggestions.

Jeff

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.